Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Folders In A Folder

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Phil B.

Phil B.

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

I have an external hard drive partitioned into 3 partitions. In one of the partitions I have a folder that has my video files in multiple folders. I can access the main folder but no other folders show under that folder although they are there. When I check the properties of the Partition it shows the space being used not empty.

Is there any way that I can have these video folders show under the My Video Files main Folder? Any help appreciated. I know they are there and I would hate to lose them.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Phil B.

Xp Home SP2
120 GB Internal hard drive
Maxtor 200GB USB2 external hard drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

Windows 95
Open My Computer.

Select the View menu and click Options.

Select the View Tab.

Select the Show all files Radio Button.

Click OK.

Windows 98
Open My Computer.

Select the View menu and click Folder Options.

Select the View Tab.

In the Hidden files section select Show all files.

Click OK.

Windows ME
Open My Computer.

Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.

Select the View Tab.

Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.

Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.

Click Yes to confirm.

Click OK.

Click Start, Programs and Accessories and open Windows Explorer.

Select a hard drive from the left hand side of the Windows Explorer window.

Select View the Entire contents of this drive.

Windows 2000
Open My Computer.

Select the View Tab.

Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.

Click Yes to confirm.

Click OK.

Windows XP
Click Start.

Open My Computer.

Select the View Tab.

Click Yes to confirm.

Click OK.

Moderator Edit: Edit each OS header with Bold font. To make it easier to denote each different OS listed. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 November 2006 - 04:58 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Phil B.

Phil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:06 PM

Siggyman,

Thanks for the quick response. Tried your suggestion to no avail. Still cannot access the folders or files in the folders.

Phil B

#4 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:14 PM

1.Do you still have acsess to these files anywhere else? If so open them and save them some where else

2.To find one try and Right Click Start->Search searc hfor a video file and try to find its location
Posted Image

#5 Phil B.

Phil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:10 PM

Siggyman,

I have a few of the folders converted to DVDs but not all. File types within sub folders are Winamp media files.

Using a DOS command that I remembered it shows as a directory. Could not print contents of directory. Could be that I did not do it right.

Phil B.

#6 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:12 PM

Did you try searching for the file
Posted Image

#7 Phil B.

Phil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

Siggyman,

Yes, I tried searching for a folder and for a file. Nothing found.

Phil B.

#8 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:19 PM

Have you checked your Recyclying ben for the files

If still no luck then I am afraid that you might just be out off luck Your computer may be saying the folder is used because all folders have invisble system Files running on them that would take up space. Unless I am missing anything and anybody eles has somthing to say.
Posted Image

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:46 AM

I suspect that these files are "lost" because the system doesn't recognize them. This can be caused by system glitches (the files are still there, but the system can't see them) or file glitches (the files aren't there, so the system can't see them).

I'd suggest using this free tool to see if you can recover them that way: http://www.pcinspector.de

BTW - if the files "aren't there", the system will see that space as being free - and will use it whenever it pleases for background operations. Luckily this is not the primary boot drive (presumed from your description) - so overwriting is not as likely. But still, you want to minimize the activity on that disk (and on the system) to maximize the chances of recovering these files.

In other words, don't use the system for anything else until you try the recovery tool.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Phil B.

Phil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:52 AM

I I'd suggest using this free tool to see if you can recover them that way: http://www.pcinspector.de

BTW - if the files "aren't there", the system will see that space as being free - and will use it whenever it pleases for background operations. Luckily this is not the primary boot drive (presumed from your description) - so overwriting is not as likely. But still, you want to minimize the activity on that disk (and on the system) to maximize the chances of recovering these files.

In other words, don't use the system for anything else until you try the recovery tool.

Thanks for the help. Was able to see the folders & files using PCinspector. Copied them to another drive. Still missing files in 5 folders. Three of the folders I had converted to DVDs already. Can convert the other two folders from VCR tape.

Thanks for the help. Now all I need to do is find out how to reclaim the space in the Partition. Again, any help appreciated. Thanks.

Phil B.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:09 PM

Once you've recovered everything, you can use many different utilities to re-partition and re-format the hard drive. The easiest is a DOS boot disk with the FDISK and FORMAT commands (available for free at http://www.bootdisk.com/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Phil B.

Phil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:34 AM

Once you've recovered everything, you can use many different utilities to re-partition and re-format the hard drive. The easiest is a DOS boot disk with the FDISK and FORMAT commands (available for free at http://www.bootdisk.com/ )

Have almost everything recovered. Need to convert the VCR tapes . Drive with the problem has 3 partitions with the problem in only one partition. The other two partitions are fine. Would like to format only the partition wit the problem. Can format only 1 of the 3 partitions?

Phil B

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

Yes, since each partition is assigned it's own drive letter, just format the drive that you want formatted.

CAUTION!!! Be very, very careful with this step! I did this once (to recover my system with an image) - and formatted the image partition rather than the system disk! Lost everything and couldn't even recover the image with a recovery program!

Check each drive (if in DOS) to ensure that you know which one is the one that you want to format. Drive assignments may be different in DOS than they are in Windows (that's what caused my problem).

#14 Phil B.

Phil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:41 PM

Formatted, checked disk and all is well. Thanks to all of you who responded to my posts.

Phil B :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users