Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Is Attempting To Access The Internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ebo

Ebo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:03 PM

I'm running Norton Internet Security. I have it set to report when programs are trying to access the Internet.

It's been a real eye-opener. I don't use Internet Explorer for anything. I use Mozilla Firefox for my browser. I can't even open the Windows XP search window without that $##!@%^ Explorer.exe trying to access the Internet. What's it doing, reporting all my lookups to Microsoft?

For instance, if I wanted to look up a file folder using search, I'd hit Start > Search > and get to the "Search results window" and hit > What do you want to search for? > and as soon as windows finds my hard drives and removable drives, I get a Norton Internet Security window warning me: "Explorer.exe is attempting to access the Internet." It says "Medium Risk" In the details box of that window it lists something like this sample:

Program: Explorer.exe
Path: C:\windows\
Date/time: 11/22/2006 5:56 p.m.
Module: C:\windows\srchasst\srchctls.dll
Module: C:\windows\srchasst\srcui.dll
Module: C:\program files\ norton internet security\...
Module: C:\program files\adobe acrobat 7.0\active...
Module: C:\windows\system 32\batmeter.dll
Module: C:\windows\system 32\stobject.dll
Module: C:\windows\system 32\themeui.dll
Remote Address: 192.168 [My ISP's full address]
Local Address: [same full ISP address with different ending]
Protocol: UDP (outbound)

Then there is a Norton "What do you want to do?" Toggle box with two choices: Block always (recommended) and Allow Always.

So if I hit "Block Always"

The Norton Security box pops up immediately, saying Explorer.exe is attempting to access the Internet.

I have to hit "Block Always" exactly 11 times in order to get that box to go away so that the search can proceed.

Then I hit: "All files and Folders"
Hit: "Look in: "Local Disk (C:\)"
Hit: "Search" and find the folder I'm looking for, highlight it and then select "stop" and "yes, finished searching"

Then at long last I double click the folder I'm trying to access and more often than not, I get one of those Windows Error Message boxes that says an error has occurred and asks if I would like to report this error to Microsoft. If I hit "Yes" it may shut my screen down, or it might let me go on. But if I hit "No" as in I don't want to report my computer's malfunction to Microsoft, I get the frozen screen of death and I have to do a "Control+Alt+Delete" to get to a screen that asks me if I want to log off of my user session. I hit "yes" and a few minutes later, after the computer clicks and moans, I am finally back to my user log-in screen and I have to give my password and log back in to get to windows. Naturally, if I had any other windows open or work in progress, it's lost.

What's going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:12 PM

sounds malware-related. please post a hijackthis log Here for inspection and cleaning

a quick note: I have never had Explorer.exe want to get online, ever, and Module: C:\windows\system 32\batmeter.dll Module: C:\windows\system 32\stobject.dll Module: C:\windows\system 32\themeui.dll set off warnings to me, seeing as themeui.dll should be in DLLchache, not system32

Edited by DemonSui, 24 November 2006 - 04:14 PM.

Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#3 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

Look at the warning again does it say explorer.exe or iexplorer.exe if it is explorer.exe then you might have a virus or bug and would want to run Ad-aware to find it or you have a program that looks for updates when explorer is opened. if it is iexplorer then that would be the internet looking for updates or a virus
Posted Image

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:48 PM

Ebo,

Since you have an active HJT Log in process please do not do anything without consulting the HJT Tech assisting you. With that being said please advise the HJT of this post and see if it is related. I am closing this thread until you have completed the HJT Log. If after your HJT Log has been deemed clear and you still have problems PM any staff member to have this thread reopened.

Animal, Forum Moderator

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users