Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Same Bad Registry Entries Every Start Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vballmike

vballmike

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:41 PM

Bot a new HP dv6000 and have deleted a bunch of the stuff that was bundled on it.

I also have carefully (?) tried to stop many of the startup processes that I don't need on start up.

Immediately after startup, I can run my regeistry fixer (Fix-It Utilities professional 6) and repair the entries listed below. The same "bad" entries are there after every start up.

The item(s) listed below were successfully repaired.
You can use the Undo-It wizard at any time to restore these changes.

Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Desktop"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Favorites"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/NetHood"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Personal"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/PrintHood"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Programs"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Recent"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/SendTo"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Start Menu"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Startup"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-19/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Templates"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Desktop"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Favorites"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/NetHood"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Personal"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/PrintHood"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Programs"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Recent"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/SendTo"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Start Menu"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Startup"
Delete item : "HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-20/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Templates"

What other info do you need to help resolve this?

Many thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this was posted in the wrong place.

vballmike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. All those registry keys are legitimate and should not be removed.

#3 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

Some removal programs mistakingly recoginze those registris as threats or usless as they are not often needed or used so they are deemed usless but you have nothing to worry about, thought i would not adivse deleting them
Posted Image

#4 vballmike

vballmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:46 PM

I understand these are supposed to be legit entries.

But they come as pointing to a file that is no longer there.

For instance, the registry fixer will return:

The registry item "desktop" references the missing file "desktop".

Key Path:
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\MicrosoftWwindows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell Folders

File Path:
C:\Document And Settins\Local Service\Desktop

It will also return an almost duplicate, the only difference is the key path is S-1-5-20 and the file path is Network Service.

My computer seems to run fine without "repairing" these entries, maybe a tad slower, but it has me irked. Just trying to keep it as clean as possible.

Does that help clear it up any?

vballmike

#5 throwthisaway

throwthisaway

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

As far as I know, some files need to be duplicated in order to run efficiently.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:09 AM

Each user account will have these files and reg keys and each user on the system has a corresponding sid shown in bold below:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\MicrosoftWwindows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell Folders

You can see the home directories for each user under Documents and Settings. Some of them like NetworkService and LocalService are hidden though, so you can not see them.

Cleaning these entries will have ZERO impact on the performance on your computer. As a matter of fact we recommend that people do not use registry cleaners as we often hear that they cause problems with your computer rather than helping resolve any.

If I was you, I would leave these entries completely alone as they are valid.

#7 vballmike

vballmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:33 PM

Thanks, Grinler.

I leave it alone.

vballmike

#8 chrisgear

chrisgear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

I created the Folders that were referenced by the entries and the registy tool stopped having errors with those values.

#9 Scamper97

Scamper97

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

I have to say I agree with Grinier about leaving the Registry Keys alone. They are not to be deleted.

But I disagree with him about Registry Cleaners being harmful to your PC.This isn't true. They do wonders for the PC.

I've been using them for years and never have any problems.I have a friend who's a PC Tech for HP and he's recommended

all kinds of PC programs.

If people use the Add/Remove Program that comes with windows to remove programs and files,you definately need a registry cleaner. Registry cleaners

help clean your registry of remants of files left from removing stuff. I personally use Revo Uninstaller.It is wonderful of removing programs

form your PC that you don't want.The Add/Remove Program leaves remmants of files in your registry and hard drive.Revo removes everything.

Your registry can get loaded with errors and can SLOW you computer down.That's why Registry Cleanersare important.ParetoLogic makes one called:

RegCure.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:45 AM

Revo is a fine program and recommended here.

Regarding Reg cleaners. As referenced above. In that case they were deleting keys only to have the OS recreate them again on every start-up. No two registry cleaners agree on what is good\safe to remove and what is bad\harmful if removed.

A bit of reading on the topic if you care to.

Ed Bott's Webog: Why I don’t use registry cleaners
Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Here is my take on registry cleaners.

I use CCLEANER from piriform.

I ran the scan, but I DO NOT have it set to automatically fix any errors.

Instead, I read through the errors to see what it finds.

If I feel the error is something that is indeed causing one of my programs to act up in any way, I may allow the program to delete the entry, or I do it manually.

Some errors that show up are un-used file extensions, since I use Microsoft's Visual Basic for programming, there are always going to be references to un-used file extensions since the VB program points to non-commonly used file types for structure building.

I do not remove entries such as this.

Also, some files or registry keys are SHARED keys, it may be required by more than one program, removing this key or shared file, may result in another program you use to stop working properly and throwing system errors at you.

I may remove an orphaned file on occasion, but before I do, I have the program I use, create a registry back-up first and I almost always have Windows back-up keep a back-up image on a SEPERATE hard drive updated and current.

I do not suggest or recommend allowing any registry cleaner program to have a field day with your valuable data by allowing it to make your decisions for you.

If you do not what is being deleted by the program or why, I suggest you leave it alone or do more research on GOOGLE search or BING and find out what that registry key is for and why it is there.

As for reference to folders such as missing desktop folders etc.

Your example: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\MicrosoftWwindows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell Folders\ (Name of each folder goes here)

This is a common error in Vista and Windows 7.
To stop this error, just follow the path it points to and manually create the folders under the names specifiyed in the error, the errors for those missing folders will disappear forever.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 February 2011 - 12:57 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users