Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti- (virus, Spam, Spyware) Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Buck Buchanan

Buck Buchanan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

:thumbsup:
Consumer Reports tested numerous Anti-Virus software packages and their top 3 recommendations are (1) BitDefender, (2) Zone Labs, and (3) Kaspersky Labs. I didn't check on Kaspersky Labs, but I did research the other two. BitDefender and Zone Labs each provide a free version for personal use. I currently use Symantec's Norton System Works which has many additional and useful features in it. I have no complaints with Norton other than cost. When my current Norton subscription dies, I am going to download and install the free versions of BitDefender's AV and Firewall. I use the free Microsoft Anti-Spyware software and have no complaints.

Here are the websites for each. If you are inclined to buy one, check places like PriceGrabber before you buy.

(1) http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/Downl...e-Products.html
(2) http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp (Click "Home" and then "ZoneAlarm")
Semper Fi,
Buck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sq2

sq2

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

I have been using Kaspersky for 4 years now and I can tell you that I have never had any problems with malware since switching to Kaspersky. Kaspersky does offer a 30 day trial of their AV/Firewall which can be found here.. http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/trial-v...hp?aw=kaspersky

#3 marcus antonius

marcus antonius

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:14 PM

I think the free versions of BitDefender has not Firewall and Real-Time Protection.
Lycurgus did not intend for Sparta to conquer and rule other cities. His opinion was that the happiness of a nation, like the happiness of a man, consists in the exercise of virtue, and not in power or wealth. His laws were for the purpose of making the Spartans free-minded, self-reliant, and sober. Many philosophers have left behind plans for perfect governments, but Lycurgus was the author - not merely in writing but in reality - of a complete philosophical state, which others could not even copy.

#4 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:36 AM

From what I know about BitDefender 8 (the free version), it does not have real-time monitoring and protection. So to be straight forward, BitDefender is an unique type of on-demand scanner (which you can update on a daily basis) that you can have installed on your computer in addition with a real-time monitoring, fully active anti-virus program.

Don't jump on my word and install it with your anti-virus quite yet because I'm not positively sure about this; however, I will try and find out more information and hopefully someone with definate knowledge can provide a verdict.

Edited by Elendil, 25 November 2006 - 11:37 AM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users