Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc To Laptop Connection

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

Hi, I would like to know if there's a way I can connect my PC to my Laptop.
The reason is I would like to backup my pc files into my laptop, rather than buying a new removable/external drive.

Since I seldom use my laptop, it has got plenty of space in the hard drive (drive D - 40GB)
I currently used 30gb from my pc's drive D. (drive D is 50% partition of drive C) Total is 80gb HDD for this pc.

My recent check with the retailer suggest that I should buy a 'hub', get some other gadgets, buy a RJ45 cable, get a Lap Link, check for serial and pararell cables and so on. It was so confusing. I believe I do not need to buy so many items, all I need is how to connect both machine, maybe using a specific cable.

Both machine has got network adapter.

Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

Assumeing your computer and laptop have Nick Cards you can use a simple crossover cable found Office Max, Radio Shack, and Staples. NOTE: do not mix the cable with others as it will not work as a regular cable
Posted Image

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:42 PM

Well what I do for my brothers laptop to our xbox 360, we just plug them together with an ethernet cord and I can send files over and I can even share the wireless internet connection! It's not a very good permanent way, but if its a one time thing this might work.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

Yes that is what I am talknig about and thought not very good for permanet it would do to make back up files. A more oermanet option would be to buy a hub (alowing you to connect mutiple ethernet/crossover cable to the same point and or the internet
Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

If you're going to do this on a regular basis, a setup with a switch, hub, or router would greatly simplify it.

If it's just an occasional thing, or if money is tight, then I'd suggest the crossover cable that Siggyman recommends.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:32 PM

Well what I do for my brothers laptop to our xbox 360, we just plug them together with an ethernet cord and I can send files over and I can even share the wireless internet connection! It's not a very good permanent way, but if its a one time thing this might work.

Thanks usasma, Siggyman, Sterling14.
I'm going to use it on regular basis, or a permanent way.
So I need to buy a hub now,...
*What hub do I need? (What do u call that hub, network hub?)
*And what cable I need? RJ47? Ethernet cable?
*And what switch do I need?

Thanks again.
Veronica Yeoh

#7 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

You would want to go to your local Computer store and ask for a cross over cable
Posted Image

#8 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:46 PM

Thanks, but I need a permanent way...
So, now I need to know all the components I needed. (switch, hubs, name of cable, etc)
I just called the store and they dont entertain me, and if I go to the store, it's like I'm starting from my post #1. Offered lots of stuffs to buy when I don't even know which one i really needed.... :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#9 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:31 PM

To make an accurate list I need ot no how much you plan on spending/your budget
Posted Image

#10 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

To make an accurate list I need ot no how much you plan on spending/your budget

As minimal as possible.
I just need the most cheapest working cable (is it RJ45)? it only cost $5
, and do I need a hub? If yes, what kind of hub?
and do I need a switch? what switch?

I just need some basic afordable tools to get my pc and laptop connected.

Boy, this is getting complicated..... :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#11 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:46 PM

Asumeing you have a wlamart near by here are links

HUB: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3910288

CABLE: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4324616 (you may not need one this big but you get the picture

SWITCH: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5392522 (if you don't need a faster speed then you won't need the switch)
Posted Image

#12 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:48 PM

wow, it's fast u can get details from the retailers. Thanks Siggyman, but I'm from Malaysia.....
But at least I got some idea of the looks at the tools. Will check it out from my local store here.
Thanks u for your replies :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#13 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:51 PM

Your Welcome, anytime
Posted Image

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:41 PM

If you're planning on connecting to the internet, it may be advisable to get a router instead of a hub or a switch.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users