Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help My Pc Won't Start Up, At All

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VFR_Man

VFR_Man

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:41 AM

Hello all,
I hate to intrude on all of you, but here goes...
I was in the middle of a BF2142 game, having a great round in fact, when my screens just went dark! The PC just shut down. No warning whats so ever!

Now it won't even try to post.
I have a MSI 915P combo. 2g of Corsair, P4 3.0
2 SATA drives, not in RAID
BFG Geforce 7800GT OC
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS
Floppy, DVD recorder, TV tuner etc.
500watt MGE power supply

I took off all the periphials, double checked all the connections that were left, and still nothing.
When I push the power button, once in awhile I get a quick flicker from the fan LED, but thats it!
Any ideas? I am about to purchase a new power supply, but would that quit as suddenly as it did?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:41 PM

Try starting the machine with only the CPU, graphics card, RAM and power supply connected. If it doesn't start you know that the flaw is in one of those parts. Personally, I'd guess the power supply or the motherboard died.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 VFR_Man

VFR_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:24 PM

Actually, I did try that. However, the problem was solved with a new power supply. 500w Ultra for $30!
The techie at Microcenter was under the same inclination that I had that the power supply was the culprit after hearing about the fact that it died so suddenly! Turns out that if its the mobo, it will make some noise first.
I also failed to mention that once in awhile I would hear a small "pop" when plugging in the power supply. He said it was a spark jumping through a blown capacitor.
So that said, this is one case solved.

Thanks for your thoughts!

#4 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:29 PM

SO wal us threw when you pres the On Button what happens->Nothing->Lights->Bleeping Noises this will help us to disect your problem
Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

It's good that you were able to diagnose it so quickly (my way would have taken a lot longer! :thumbsup:

Although, the motherboard won't always make noise prior to it's failing (it depends upon where on the board the failure occurs). But a power supply is cheaper than a motherboard! BTW - power supply testers only cost about $10 - so you may want to consider one.

Finally, the "pop" is the biggest clue here - that just ain't right! Keep an eye on your power supply tho' - $30 isn't a whole lot for a PSU, so it may fail on you earlier than you expect (although it may just keep on working forever).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users