Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Do Bleeping Members Work So Hard?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guesty

Guesty

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:38 AM

I have been a heavy forum user for the past year. I have spent alot of time on large forums and smaller ones where you will find ageneral mix of topics. BC is predominently in my opinion HJT assistance among others but the board hets alot of HJT requests.

HJT (I know little about) is time consuming rite? So apart from some donations why do members spend so much time helping others? I would like to think its been christioan but people have busy lives so what i dont understand fully is why the HJT Team are working so hard for little financial return. Its not as if its a once off help or assistance to a member, it every day, even to new members...

Enlighten me :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

In addition to enjoying new challenges and learning new things, the HJT volunteers take genuine---hard to believe in today's world---enjoyment and perhaps not a little pride in being able to help others. I have nothing but admiration for their overcoming the tedium and complexities of working logs and of their patience with process of posting and replies.
The same admiration can be extended to the Trusted Advisors, Moderators, Administrators, and the many contributing and active members here at BC who volunteer a part of their busy and complicated lives toward helping others and maintaining the forums. Being computer users themselves, I think all understand the panic and confusion of trying to work through a new difficulty, and how helpful is having someone with some experience and expertise for advice. And how rewarding a simple "Thanks. It worked for me!" can be.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 24 November 2006 - 12:41 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Guesty

Guesty
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:01 PM

he HJT volunteers take genuine---hard to believe in today's world---enjoyment and perhaps not a little pride in being able to help others.

you can say that again! But yes it is VERY teadious looking..not for me im afraid.

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

In addition to enjoying new challenges and learning new things, the HJT volunteers take genuine---hard to believe in today's world---enjoyment and perhaps not a little pride in being able to help others. I have nothing but admiration for their overcoming the tedium and complexities of working logs and of their patience with process of posting and replies.
The same admiration can be extended to the Trusted Advisors, Moderators, Administrators, and the many contributing and active members here at BC who volunteer a part of their busy and complicated lives toward helping others and maintaining the forums. Being computer users themselves, I think all understand the panic and confusion of trying to work through a new difficulty, and how helpful is having someone with some experience and expertise for advice. And how rewarding a simple "Thanks. It worked for me!" can be.
Cheers,
John

Agreed
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:43 AM

In addition to enjoying new challenges and learning new things, the HJT volunteers take genuine---hard to believe in today's world---enjoyment and perhaps not a little pride in being able to help others. ...The same admiration can be extended to the Trusted Advisors, Moderators, Administrators, and the many contributing and active members here at BC who volunteer a part of their busy and complicated lives toward helping others and maintaining the forums. ...And how rewarding a simple "Thanks. It worked for me!" can be...

Agreed

I can certainly underline this. I have been into this stuff for quite a while, with off and ons due to heavy working loads and little freetime (like just now), but once you got "infected," it is hard not to try and help others and spend your "little" free time on such.

Regards,

Johannes

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:52 PM

Also Guesty..

I think for a lot of the HjT Team it is a challenge to defeat the baddies that people make. I think that has a lot to do with it. People like to help but also enjoy the challenge too.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:06 PM

Personally I find analyzing new malware and how they work a challenge and interesting. That along with the feel good feeling of helping someone is what makes my continue to work in the HJT area.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:53 AM

Why, glory, of course! To engage in honorable battle with the baddies of the cyber age, to slay them one by one until their deamon-spawn code lay in bits at your feet. To serve a higher cause and see to it that none are Denied Service because of attacks. To taste the terror of the Fatal System Error; to bask in the warmth of victory over evil; and to ponder the deepest question of all: Abort, Retry, Fail? Failure is not an option! Abortion is.. a touchy subject that I won't go into here! Retrying if at first you don't succeed is the only option!
Glory! Yes! The computer is a battlefield and we are but holy warriors in a never ending battle! We must strike whilst the iron is hot and byte the hand that steals our identity. We must take the axe of knowledge and hack our way through the host of evil-doers before us until the land runs #FF0000!

For (the.evil.ones != us && the.evil.ones !> us)!

If (we do not fight them) then
we will surely die!
else victory is ours!
endif

:thumbsup:

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 10 April 2007 - 08:58 AM.

#9 Blair

Blair

GeeksToGo

• Security Colleague
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:29 AM

To expand on what Grinler said:

1) It's an intellectual challenge. Some people like crossword puzzles or sudoku. Others may read a book. I've always enjoyed the challenge that malware provides. It's not often that two problems are alike. It's also why automated tools are still not successful in many cases. For some people it's a very addicting challenge. However, the burnout rate is also high.

2) The true joy of helping others. Donation links provide a couple of dollars here and there, but no one does this for the money. Genuine gratitude and appreciation means so much more. Some of the feedback we get is truly amazing.

3) Grinler hacked everyone's system, and he has embarrassing personal and private information that he's using to motivate everyone to work harder. Just kidding!

#10 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:48 AM

My Posted Image
I came here because of a nasty bug on my PC some 5 months ago. I joined up and started participating at the forums.

I can't tell how good it feels when you solve a problem, given the fact that you will not ever see that person, but somebody out there has been heklped by you and that feels good. I know the feeling when you are on the virge of Posted Image but suddenly you start reading around here and everything falls into places.

There are few good computer forums which I attend but I must say this one and G2G has a high level of quality in both information and the people who are here.

Posted Image Great job Grinler and all involved

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:48 AM

Grinler hacked everyone's system, and he has embarrassing personal and private information that he's using to motivate everyone to work harder. Just kidding!

Shh...that was told in confidence :thumbsup:

#12 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

i come here with a malware problem and much to my wifes chagrin spend most off my time on here
this is the only forum i am in and if i can help in anyway it makes me feel good as i am learning new things
everyday just by reading and participating in topics the the bc staff are saints :thumbsup:

Edited by mz30, 13 April 2007 - 05:54 PM.

god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#13 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

Cheers,
John

Its not that im lazy..... :flowers: ......... :trumpet: .........but i couldnt have put this any better myself John.
Its just good to know, that friendship, knowledge and kindness can stretch the world over!

Its like a house party i gate crashed, was welcomed in, shown how to really truely mix the cocktails and now i am a fully fledge drunk myself, still at the party, showing the new gate crasher how to mix there cocktails! :inlove:

Happy drinking...sorry, i mean browsing everyone!

:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:35 AM

I'll drink to, that!! :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:54 AM

Posted Image Grave Angel
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic