Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb 2.0 Hub Not Working :-\

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robin_norway

Robin_norway

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hi.

A couple of days ago I bought this 2.0 plug and play compatible 2-port USB 2.0 Hub (cheap)
Yeah it was cheap but cheap stuff should work too right?

Anyway look. It's plug and play so it shouldn't need drivers but when I put it in Windows XP asks for drivers and that wizard for new hardware thing pops up.
I tried to plug my JumpDrive in it and it lists in My Computer as drive G: with a red exclamation mark and I can't enter it.

I don't have any trouble with any of my other USB devices.

Please help me ;_;

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

Either the hub needs drivers or it's broken. I'd suggest contacting the seller to get either the drivers or a refund. FWIW - my powered USB hub didn't need any drivers - but this may not be the case for all Hubs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

But it's plug and play???? Hmm well.. I guess this should be a lesson: NEVER buy cheap stuff...

As for the drivers, it says on the box "no drivers needed" bleh.. And it is not broken (I think) because there are lights.

Well thanks for your time, if I don't get it working I'm gonna toss it and not buy cheap stuff again ;)
BTW, I have heard that there can be problems with USB powered Hubs. Just a rumor ^^

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

I've got this rock to sell you. I claim it's plug and play. So it doesn't work when you use it - so what, I've still got your money!

I've only used a couple of hubs - and they were always of quality manufacture.

The cheaper one's are a grab bag - you may get a good seller or you may get a bad one. The only way to tell is to contact them and see if they'll help you out.

BTW - technically the lights working only means one thing - that there's power to the lights! It may or may not be significant (depending on the construction of the hub).

I helped out a guy once who bought an extremely cheap USB drive caddy off the web that didn't work. Amazingly he contacted the seller and they immediately sent him another one that did work.

I only buy quality parts for my PC - I find that it greatly lessens the problems that I have with it. I won't pass over a good deal, but I've got to be darned sure that I'm getting what I've paid for.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:37 PM

I've got this rock to sell you. I claim it's plug and play. So it doesn't work when you use it - so what, I've still got your money!

LOL

I'm so not gonna buy a rock for my computer >_>
XD

Point taken, but I'm not gonna bother going back there with it because I probobly didn't sav my receipt and the people over there don't know jack bleep about computers.

Well atleast it was cheap.. But are you sure it can't be my USB chipset's fault because I had "similar" problems with my mouse on it. And I have those drivers installed (obviously) hmm?
BTW it's a VIA chipset. (more cheap stuff) :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:37 PM

VIA's a good chipset (a far cry from their stuff back in 2000) and should work quite well.

But, if you can afford it, nothing beats paying for quality. You get a better product and you get better service. I bought a 500 gB W-D My Book from a major retailer about 7 months ago and it recently started spitting out errors. I logged onto W-D support, tried a few posts and asked for an RMA. They immediately gave it to me - and I have the replacement drive sitting on my desktop now and have transferred all of my files already. I'm writing 0's to the old drive and will mail it back to them tomorrow (required a credit card to get the new drive first - but no charge to it unless I don't return the old one).

#7 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:24 PM

Well problem solved :D

I was in VIA's live support chat thingy.. (I think it was VIA) anyway, they said it could be my generic drivers? I have no idea what they are but after re-installing Windows they all work. YAY!

If someone will, please suggest on some fairly cheap but good USB HDD's between 2-400 GB, or atleast some decent makers.

Thanks for trying to help usasma :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users