Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacement For Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti200 64 Mb Ddr-ram; Tv-out/videoin Graphic Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Boricua47

Boricua47

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:15 AM

I own a Medion desktop PC MT 5 (also known, per Medion Customer Support, as MD 3300 and MD 330). The monitor screen frequently goes "black" while the tower is still on (I hear the fan turning and the Power LED is constant yellow.)

I manually turn off the computer then turn it on on different times until I get the screen to show the booting-up image, etc. and can use the computer again. (Frequently, I have to try it for two or three days until I can get in... but the problem comes back in hours).

A local computer repair shop verified the problem and, after a couple of months in the shop, stated could not fix it even if consulting with other repair shops.

Medion customer service recently informed me that it seems to be a bad video card and that I could try a new one, which they say is inexpensive. My questions are these:

1) Is there anything in a knowledge base, etc. that suggest that approach (replacement of the video card) or anything else?

2) What are the options to replace (and inexpensibly upgrade) the NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB DDR-RAM; TV-Out / VideoIn (Microsoft) graphic card for my legacy computer (which I bought in November 2001)? (I only run as peripherals a scanner, the Medion Monitor, a printer, a scanner and the low-end speakers and have never used it for TV out or video in). I have been informed by other sources that a "value" video card may be the only thing I need. Is that is true or not, what kind of video card?

3) Could the problem be caused not by the video card itself but by a damaged or obsolete driver or something else?

Thank you!

Agustin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:15 AM

Can you please edit out all the blank space at the bottom of your post? It makes it hard to refer back to it while typing a response.

Without further testing there's no way to tell if it's a video card or not. You may want to check with the PC shops that you used to see if they tried another video card. (I'd suspect that they would have, and if so this may save you buying a new video card). I'd tend to trust the PC shop's word - since they have nothing to gain by telling you they can't fix it.

I suspect that it's not the video card - otherwise you probably wouldn't be able to ever get into the system (although there are some uncommon problems with video cards that could cause this).

The first place to check is in your Event Viewer for error messages. If there are no errors, then that's a sign that the problem is occurring below the level that Windows can recognize. Here's a link about how to use the Event Viewer. It's slanted towards the Blue Screen of Death - but the principles remain the same: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Let us know what errors you find and we can work from there.

OH! Another thought! Try booting into Safe Mode and see if that works any better. That'll help to confirm/deny a driver problem. You can get to Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key at the moment that Windows begins to load (not the initial BIOS screens).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Boricua47

Boricua47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:32 PM

I would love to edit that darned blank space but I don't have the edit buttom.... I hope that the administrator gives me that edit capability... the blank space was caused when a book fell on the keyboard... I couldn't remove that space after that or now... Sorry! (and thank you for your comments and suggestions!)
Agustin

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:54 PM

Holy crud! Where'd the "Edit" buttons go? I can't even edit my own post! Probably a glitch in the forum software.

Not a problem then - just let us know how the things that I suggested work out for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Boricua47

Boricua47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:30 PM

Hello, again, Sarge! I was not able to post an answer to your suggestions because bleepingcomputer did not recognize me as a registered user... I was finally able to get in to the website as a registered user. I tried starting on Safe Mode but the problem happened again. I started the "Event" finding but the instructions I obtain to save and pastethat screen showing the times that the video "crashed" did not work. I'll try again to do that now that bleepingcomputer is allowing me back. Also, something that I have noticed is that the video display properties change on its own the resolution down to 640 x 480, usually when I am switching from Windows Explorer (both the last and the new verion) to Mozilla Firefox. When that happens I have to open the Display Properties and move the slider to 1024 x 768 and then hit "Enter" as the OK buttom is not visible. Is that also a symptom that may reveal why is the video system is crashing?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:40 AM

Try updating your video drivers from the nVidia website ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html ). They're free, so it won't cost you anything to try.

If that doesn't work, the next thing would be to try another video card. It appears from the Medion website that you have a standard AGP slot. ( http://www1.medion.de/downloads/download.p...pdf&lang=us ) Since they don't specify what multiplier is used, the best thing would be to replace the card with another one of the same type.

Looking at similar cards on http://www.pricegrabber.com/ reveals that the cards are usually AGP 2x or 4x - so this makes a choice difficult without further information.

To help out, please run this free utility ( http://www.gtopala.com/index.html ) to get the specifications of your system. Then read through them looking for the video and AGP stuff. Then copy and paste it to your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users