Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

I opened up my families office computer and cleaned it out (we've had it for 3 years and never opened it) Afterwards I put the processor back in and the heatsink and put the cover back on. Now the computer will only turn on and the power light stays orange nothing comes up on the screen. I'll try to give more info g2g right now. Any suggestions will help.

Edited by Sterling14, 24 November 2006 - 10:09 AM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:29 PM

Ok now to give more info. I opened up the computer to clean it out. I also took out the cpu and heatsink (bad idea?) to clean the heat sink out. After I blow all the dust out of the computer I put it back together and plugged everything back in. Now when I turn it on the light thats usually green that mean its on is orange and stays on like that. The weird thing is everything is starting fine, you can see/hear the hard drive and the optical drives start up, but there is no picture on the screen, and the screens light thats usually green when its on is orange. Any idea's?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:21 PM

If you remove the heatsink from the processor you'll need to apply some new thermal paste before putting it back.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

lol well turns out some cords just got loose when we were blowing air through it ( I guess thats what I get for useing a shop vac!)! I guess I need to apply paste because when I took the processor out of this computer to test it on that computer it wasn't sticking but there was some paste.

Edited by Sterling14, 24 November 2006 - 03:51 PM.

#5 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:48 PM

IF all that fales you might wan't to througly inspect the devices as you may have acidently fired them with satic discharge
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:45 AM

Don't remove anything when cleaning out the case - it just increases the chances that something can go wrong (such as a bit of dust lodged in one of the sockets).

Don't touch the case or it's insides with the air tool. Don't use a vacuum cleaner as they generate static electricity which can damage the components.

Clean off all of the old paste from the processor and the heat sink - then put a "smidgen" of new paste on it. Also, try this free utility to keep track of your temps: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users