Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shut Down Vs. Restart. Pc Doesn't Know Difference

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 henri999

henri999

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:43 AM

This PC has been refusing to power off when told to shut down for a couple of months.

All power settings are normal. Its a desktop and the usual standby and hibernate for laptop modes are not applicable.

Anybody have any other explanation? I want to exhaust all possibilities before trying replacing the power supply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:17 AM

Give us more information:
1.Motherboard modle
2.When did you notice the computer started doing this
3.If you go to start shutdown will it turn off
4.If you hold the power off button on your tower will it turn off
5.It may be a courrpted system file
6.Can you Logoff->Shutdown

Try This:
1.Boot up in safe mode (While computer it starting up tap F8 a couple of times)
2. Then while logged in as an admin in safe mode try to shutdown
Posted Image

#3 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

yse it does sound like a corruption in system files. if you have an XP CD then try running SFC /scannow

Start > Run > "sfc /scannow" (minus quotes)
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#4 henri999

henri999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

1. Board: KM266-8235
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 09/09/2003

2. About 6-8 weeks ago. Just assumed it was a bug in a MS update but it has not gone away.

3. The only way I can shut down other than pulling the electrics is holding the tower power button for 7 seconds which I do at the point where restart normally occurs and this cuts through the restart process

4. If I hold the power button down while at the desktop it will crash windows so I tend to avoid this unless hung. But see 3 above.

5. Yes

6. No. Logoff first followed by shutdown (used to work for network hangups as I recall) makes no difference.

7. Safe mode does not cure the problem.

#5 henri999

henri999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:51 PM

Question for DemonSui

I do have an XP CD but how should I use it ... if I go Start > Run > sfc /scannow where should the CD actually be?

If the CD is in, say, drive D: then are you saying I should invoke...
Start > Run > d:sfc /scannow?

Sorry to be thick but I am not completely sure what you are telling me to try.

#6 henri999

henri999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:45 PM

Just ran sfc /scannow. Ran through no problem and did not ask for a CD.

Miserably, the PC is unchanged and still thinks a shut down means restart.

Any further suggestions?

#7 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

Could you tell us exactly what happens whe nyou try to shutdow without holding tower button

Also try this

On starting up , tap function key f8 repeatedly until you break into the windows startup mode.

Choose to go into safe mode .

Browse in safe mode just to establish with the system that you are there ,then shut down.

On coming out of safe mode windows will make a new shutdown file .

If this was the problem , then starting up will be o.k. but with a mostly blank preferences settings .

Just reset to your own likings and shut down again.

Edited by Siggyman, 24 November 2006 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

#8 henri999

henri999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:04 PM

Shut down behaves like Restart. Exactly. i.e. "message .. saving your settings "... wait a bit... bit of blue screen, finally monitor black - no signal Then in a second it starts whirring and comes back again.

I'll have a go at browsing about in safe mode for a few minutes before shutting down and see if that makes a difference. But this is getting like zapping zombies that spring back at you from nowhere, if you get my drift.

#9 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:10 PM

Have you checked your fans
1. Check your Case fan
2. Check your CPU Fans
3. Lastly make sure your memory and power supply is still functional

Most random shutdonws are caused buy structal problems or over heating

Edited by Siggyman, 24 November 2006 - 03:11 PM.

Posted Image

#10 henri999

henri999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hi Siggyman

The machine is definitely not overheating. The memory is fine. And most important of all this is not a random shutdown I am trying to resolve.... it is a REFUSAL to shut down. Maybe the machine is just too cool?

Sorry if that sounds a bit of a sense of humour failure... just that this is really a very minor irritation but it would be nice to get to the bottom of it!

#11 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

Is your current version of Xp up to date?
Posted Image

#12 henri999

henri999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:09 PM

Yes - 100%.
Also clean of viruses and spyware.
No other malfunctions known.
Maybe there is a connection loose or broken or some controlling part of the power supply? I reckon next step is swap power supply but I am not sure I can be bothered right now....as long as the button keeps working.
Any other ideas do let me know.
Thanks

#13 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

Yes I would sugjest replacing a power supply ASAP to prevent further damage to your computer
Posted Image

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

I suspect it's a corruption in your Windows files (those that aren't "protected" (which the SFC tool scans)). It could also be driver corruption issues, bad hardware, or a host of other things.

To check for obvious problems with your drivers, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Look for any red x's or yellow !'s. If you find any, then update those drivers.

Also, check in your Event Viewer for errors related to the shutdown process (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on the Application and the System categories in the left hand pane - then check for errors in the right hand pane. Let us know what errors you find.

Any further driver troubleshooting will involve uninstalling and reinstalling all of your drivers to see if this corrects the problem.

Or, you can try a repair install of Windows XP. While this is a rather drastic solution, it has worked for me in the past. Try a repair installation of XP using these directions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:39 AM

Try this just for grins and chuckles.
I've been using for over a year. whenever an app. hangs,I'll use this before I head to the power button.
There is also "superfast reboot"

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utiliti...t_Shutdown.html
Where ever you go.................. There you are

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users