Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your New Hard Drive May Already Have Drm Built In It

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!

This is actually a 2-threader,, but I needed to combine them as one, so you can get a better glimpse of what's really going on in this technological world we're living in.

The first part focuses on a thread I started:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70596/rfid-chips-see-how-youre-being-tracked-monito/

I have made my point clear that I know for sure Seagate is monitoring/tracking users of their hard drives. Although some beg to differ..... I dare you to read this report...... about the Seagate hard drives here:

Seagate: The Hard Drive, Reconsidered
SPECIAL FEATURE A new hard drive technology could effectively redefine how all computers are secured, and all information integrity is maintained. But it could introduce something else that many don't want: built-in DRM

http://www.betanews.com/article/Seagate_Th...ered/1164238838

Like I said before, in my thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70596/rfid-chips-see-how-youre-being-tracked-monito/

You can all take the tracking as a "hoax" if you want to, but the proof is staring us in the faces, and many of us are too afraid to realize it. Well, it's here, and it's been here for a long time now. To know is to be prepared. Remember that much, if nothing else.

Anyway... I know what I've been talking about is true, and is happening. I was told this once about the RFID tracking and such:

You have no idea of what's really going on with RFID

Well, you all know my signature.... One Man's Opinion ... But I'm sure that person may be thinking that I'm telling it like it really is... especially once this story is read: I REALLY know what's going on with the RFID tracking... I'm just informing others. They can decide their own fate.
Seagate: The Hard Drive, Reconsidered
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second part of this thread is about the DRM (rootkits) installed on cd's around 1995 (allegations below).

I've made this post today on another site, and I'd like to know what you think about about it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The root kit saga has been going on since at least 1995. I have a cd here by a group called Aswad (Jamaican/Reggae group)..with the BMG on the cd, and I'm doing some work for a friend, who has every one of his ORIGINAL cd's on his computer, but now none of those files will play.

Using a computer that has a brand new os on it, and never been online at all (one of mine)... I've taken his ORIGINAL CD and placed it in my burner. Here's what's happening.

1. All files show up as 1KB
2. Trying to copy the files to my hd fails.
3. trying to use any software at all to copy/rip the cd fails.

Although I'm no expert on this ... yet.... but I am already at the conclusion that:

4. Since 1995, they've been root kitting cd's.
5. The cd's MUST be multi-session cd's. There is no way those cd's shouldn't/can't copy to my hd.. or NOT copy/rip at all.... not unless those cd's have root kits on them.
6. Hard drives ALREADY have DRM built inside of them. (I just learned about this today).

When placing the ORIGINAL cd back into the person's computer, it gives a message that the cd has been copied 3 times, and he'd have to download a license to play his songs.

I then put the ORIGINAL cd back into my computer, but using the Media Player Classic (not Microsoft related) and it'll take a while to load up the songs... but then they'll play from the cd. But again,, when I look at the files in Windows Explorer, they all say 1K.

I'm still testing this.. and I have still a few extra hard drives that can, and will be repartitioned and reformatted and OS installed. I'm going to test this on a few more hd's and if this happens to be the same on those too (brand new os's)... then there is no question at all as to if those cd's are root kit/multi-session cd's. And then again... it could very well be that NEW Seagate hard drive bought a few weeks ago. I just cracked opened the box yesterday. But no more Seagates for me. And I'm glad I didn't pay for them. I do barter.

There is no other logical explanation to it, except that root kits have been around and embedded since 1995.... maybe earlier, but this is the earliest cd I'm testing that comes from BMG.

Here is a test for you......... Take ANY ORIGINAL cd and try to make 4 copies of it. If it allows you to make 4 copies, that cd/hd is root kit free, but if it doesn't... that cd has a root kit on it.. and (or) it could be on your computer. In my case.. that's impossible.. Not unless the ORIGINAL OS cd has it already built in it, or my Seagate hard drive have it already. But I doubt that on the OS part of it. Then again?????

But read the Seagate story here ..... and this ALL ties into tracking and monitoring:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

Ok.. I found out one thing for sure... and that is music cd's have the extension .cda and they do read 1K when looking at the cd in Windows Explorer. Below is what I read on http://www.coolutils.com/Formats/CDA

What is CDA?
CD Audio (.cda) tracks are audio files that can be stored on CD media. The .cda files are representations of CD audio tracks and do not contain the actual pulse code modulation (PCM) information. Cda files can be played only from a CD-ROM. To test a .cda file, either try to play a different .cda file from your CD-ROM or try to play a .cda file from a different CD-ROM. Copied from the CD-ROM to the hard disc it cannot be played. This is format used for encoding music on all commercial compact discs. If you buy a CD from a store, the music on that CD is stored in CDA format.

The current standard for CD audio requires a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz and a sample size of 16 bits (2 bytes per sample). As a result, you need to store 2 x 44,100= 88,200 bytes of data every second to record in mono. Recording in stereo would require twice that much storage. That extrapolates to about 10 MB of data for every minute of stereo sound! It is for this reason that compression schemes such as MP3 are so important.

Unfortunately, your computer can't store files in CDA format, so you still have to convert CDA files to another format to store on your hard disk.

I am using a tool called Audio 2 MP3 CD Extractor, and it's converting and playing the files, and I can read their actual sizes, but the only problem now is that there is no cd info for any of them that I put in. The program has a FreeDB but it can't retrieve any info from any of the cd's. The message says:

No matches found for this CD in the FreeDB database or in the cdplayer.ini file on your computer.

Sorry!

Although this program is working, none of the other tools are able to copy the cd's at all. But Windows Media Player is nice enough to offer to "rip" the cd whenever I insert one in the drive. I think I'll pass on their offer. That's why the guy whos computer I'm working on has his music locked down.. He told me so.. that he has been using the Windows Media Player.

This aught to server as a warning to the rest of you that read this. Use it and after awhile, your original, paid for cd's might not work until you "download" a license. I told him NOT to do such.. after I tried to see if it would work (download license on his computer).. and it wouldn't pass the muster.

I'm already considering pawning off my new 160G Seagate to a few prospects and then go get one from a so-called NOT trusted company.

From what I've been reading about this DRM in the hard drives, people are already saying that they are simply going to stock up on the ones that don't have them right now, and just won't buy anymore hard drives. Personally, I can live with that.

And with these new hard drives, people are forgetting one important thing.... and that is.... when you do buy one, you'll have to go online (more than likely) just to activate your hard drive. Then you're going to have your hard drive dictating to you what you can and cannot install on your computer... and then,,, you're going to have your hard drive spying on you and reporting back to the Internet every time you load something on it.

Did they ever think about those that choose not to have Internet access? How will they be able to install programs that they already own? It's going to get pretty ugly, real soon.. Seagate and all that follow suit will eventually feel the brunt of it all. Once people start to boycott those products, they'll get the message. I'll just have to take my chances with unknown companies that won't practice this method of dictating computer users. I'm more than willing to take my chances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users