Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Laptop Starts And Shuts Off On Its Own....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 llopez29

llopez29

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:32 PM

\/I am having trouble with my computer lately, one day I had been using it for a couple of hours doing some school work. After I was done I turned it off, then about 2 or 3 hours later I turned it back on and everything was fine but then it just suddenly turned off and restarted on its own. A little later it said I had some kind of bug infecting my software and I needed to scan the problem. But I have tried to start in safe mode and other modes, did a test on the hard drive and it still does the same thing, can anyone help me, how can I fix my problem? This is very frustrating because it won't let me log in to scan it just keeps restarting on its own. Thanks for listening.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:42 AM

There is an excellent chance that your computer is infected. Here are
general virus/malware removal steps:

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2....emoving_Malware

Include scanning with either Sysclean or Multi_AV, plus Ewido. Do all
prep/finishing work and follow instructions to do all scans in Safe
Mode.

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
specialty forums listed at the link above (not here, please).

As you will note, the procedures require that you have access to a
different, known-clean computer with an Internet connection and some
way of transferring the tools/updates - cd-r, usb thumbdrive, etc.

To completely remove Norton, see:
http://tinyurl.com/q7nsf - Removing and reinstalling Norton Internet
Security, Norton AntiSpam, or Norton Personal Firewall (2006/2005/2004
versions)
http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem2.htm

If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local version of BigStoreUSA).

Edited by Siggyman, 24 November 2006 - 12:50 AM.

Posted Image

#3 llopez29

llopez29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

well thank you for your help but how can I do this if my computer won't even start in safe mode? also how can i get some kind of recovery system to be able to work my computer so that i can scan it properly, i am afraid i didn't do this before hand.

#4 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Are you saying tha tyour computer will not even turn on at all
Posted Image

#5 llopez29

llopez29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:45 AM

well it does turn on but only for about five minutes then restarts again, i have tried to start in safe mode but it will just restart again. so that's why i am very confused about how to fix it.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

Is there any chance that the computer is overheating? Check to see if there's a lot of dust, etc inside the case. If so, blow it out with compressed (canned) air and see if that helps (particularly the processor, heat sink, and video card). DON'T use a vacuum cleaner!!!

Let us know if this helps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:59 PM

also make sure you CPU fan is connetced correctly
Posted Image

#8 llopez29

llopez29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:38 PM

I believe everything is working the way it should except the fact that it says at the very beginning that there is a bug infecting something in the system and that I need to scan it once I log in so I try to log in but it won't even let me do that it just restarts again all on its own. I have tested the system at the beginning, tried to start it up in safe mode and basically tried everything I can think of course I am not an expert so that is why I am confused on how to fix it. I really appreciate everyones help and I hope I can resolve the issue. Someone told me that I needed a recovery disk but the problem with that is that the computer was handed down to me and I don't have it neither does the person who owned it before me. They also told me that I probably needed to unistall and reinstall everything on my computer, this person happens to work for Hp but I am not sure exactly how to do that when my laptop won't even stay on for 5 minutes.

#9 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

Here is a quick test to see if it is a hard ware issue

1) Turn on your computer
2) Find where your computer restarts
3) Let the computer sit for 5 min
4) Turn on the computer again (if it isnt)
5) Stop at the point right before it restarts
6) Let your computer run for 10min if it doesn't turn of then we no it is an internal problem within the system i.e. Virus
Posted Image

#10 llopez29

llopez29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:37 AM

I actually have done this and the same thing will happen sometimes it will go a little further but it never lets me fully log in and then it shuts off. I have done all of those things you suggested but they have not worked for my laptop. I just don't know what the problem is, it does say it has a bug but I just don't know if it can be repaired or not when it won't allow me to stay on for more than 5 minutes.

#11 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:42 AM

From what I here it is a hardware issue, The randomness of the shutdown sugjests an over heating
Posted Image

#12 cesar666

cesar666

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

Hi, sorry for the intrusion, but first of all, you can disable restarting by:

Right click on Mypc/properties/Advanced options/configuration of "start and recovery/dissable automatic restart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users