Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Grandma's Scanner Program

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

My grandma's scanner program has stopped working for some reason. She has an hp printer/scanner/copier combo and all of a sudden the hp program to scan stuff with will not work. She'll click the icon to open it and all it does is make a beeping sound. Any help is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:54 PM

I'm assuming your'e referring to the icon on the desktop.

This is an issue with IE7 being installed on the computer. If this is the case with her pc, she will have to remove IE7 & go back to IE6. This is done by going to Add/Remove, check Show Updates at the top of the dialouge box, scrolling down to IE7, & removing. It will roll back to IE6. As a precaution, have her create a System Restore point. Also, most likely if IE7 is installed on her PC, it came with Microsoft's Updates. To prevent this from reoccuring, have her manually do an update & choose the custom option. If IE7 is listed as an update, it can be unchecked so that it does not install, & can also be set not to be shown again.

If she does not have IE7, she could try to uninstall & then reinstall all of the HP software.

It could be malware related. Have her run a Full Service Scan using this:

Windows Live oneCare Scanner

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:01 PM

ok thanks i'll try these, but i'm not sure if she has installed IE7
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:23 AM

Scanning software can be a real pain in the ar$e! First thing I would do is to uninstall any software related to your Gran's printer, however the usual install process may leave some traces. Usually you can get hold of a simple utility (I know that HP have a utility that completely removes traces - search their site).

Once you have done that locate the latest drivers/software for the printer and install them following the onscreen instructions One of the most common errors I find in scanners/printers not working is that people connect the printer first then install the software (not saying you or your Gran did this).

If this doesen't help, pop back with details of your Gran's printer!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:29 PM

I would go to the control panel and look for the scanner/copyer/printer in the device menue if you find it then take a screen shot and paste it here ofr us to look at, if there is a website in the manual then I would also check there
Posted Image

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:25 PM

First thing I'd do (IMHO) is to reinstall the software. Sometimes when windows gets updated (or when the computer is shut down or program is shut down incorrectly) it messes up programs. I'd uninstall it and reinstall it (then check for updates, or install the most up to date version) and see if that helps.

Also, unplug the power from your scanner, flick the switch on and off a few times, wait a few minutes, then plug the power back in. Sometimes it resets the scanner (worked on older ones anyways!).

If none of this works, then I'd work with the kind folks who have offered their help already! (or try this stuff I said if theirs doesn't work!) :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users