Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Anti Spyware

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rays PC

Rays PC

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:52 PM

hey everyone, I have a question for you,

the AVG anti spyware icon that used to be on my task bar is gone and when I open it, I can no longer set the resident shield. It says its not available for the free version. Is this something new??, it use to work.
Thanks

Ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

Hi Ray,

The real-time scanning (resident shield) and autoupdate features are turned off after thirty days unless you buy the program. However, you can still update manually and do manual scans. It's all spelled out on the AVG webpages.

Of course it would be nice to get all the features for free, but it's still a very good antispyware scanner, and there are other free programs that can give you real-time protection, such as Javacool's Spyware Guard and the TeaTimer feature of Spybot-Search & Destroy.

Personally I don't use any realtime spyware programs, I think it's enough to block bad sites with Spyware Blaster and use some common sense. I do use a realtime antivirus scanner though.

Here's a tutorial on free protection programs and others:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ree+replacement

HTH,

Dave

#3 Rays PC

Rays PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:20 PM

Thanks Dave,

I also have javacools spyware blaster, and if I remember the Tea Time feature of Spybot S&D as well.
Is Javacools Spyware Guard something else?

#4 Rays PC

Rays PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:23 PM

Sorry Dave, I followed the link and it looks like Spyware Guard is a separate item. Seeing what I already have and running on my PC, can I also install Spyware Guard without having any conflicts??

Thanks

Ray

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:40 PM

Hi Ray,

I would recommend running only one real-time spyware scanner. Spyware Blaster is not a real-time scanner, its protection is entirely passive. And your AVG resident shield is now disabled. So unless you have something else (e.g. TeaTimer) on there, you could add SpywareGuard with no problems.

Just remember to keep it updated. Same goes for SpywareBlaster. Spyware mutates at a dizzying rate.

HTH,

Dave

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:31 AM

Also keep in mind that Spywareguard does not require constant definition updates because its detection abilities use a heuristic [rule-based] engine. Normally, for an Anti-Virus product to detect a virus, the virus must have been seen before, analyzed and detection added to the signature update files. Heuristics are used since there are some families of viruses that continually change their appearance and it is not possible to detect every variant. Heuristics allows setting up a defined set of rules so if it looks like a virus, and acts like a virus it can be detected, even if the virus has never been seen before. SpywareGuard uses this same approach for detecting spyware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:43 AM

Hey QM, thanks for the correction. Another point in SpywareGuard's favor!

Ray, sorry for the bad information. However, I'm pretty sure my advice about frequent updates is correct with regard to SpywareBlaster.

Dave

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

Your welcome DaveM59. Your also correct about SpywareBlaster which seems to have an update once a month or so. Spybot on the other hand has very frequent updates (once a week).

#9 Rays PC

Rays PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:30 PM

thanks for the help guys. but I have another question for you guys,,, I was looking at spyware blaster list of protected list and I noticed that there were a couple hundred coolweb sites that were listed as unprotected,,, why were those sites left unprotected while the others werent???
I checked lots of them but wasnt able to do all, but I will today.
your input would be appreciated.

thanks
Ray

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:15 AM

There are 6937 items in the database to include hundreds of CoolWebSearch. Did you click enable all protection on the main page and double-check to see if there was a check mark next to each entry? Under IE, Restricted Sites and Mozilla/Firefox if you right click on the list itself there is an option to "Select All" and then click "Protect Against Checked Items".

Another thing you can use to add even more bad sites to your Restricted Sites list is IE-SPYAD or IE-SPYAD for ZonedOut.
How Use IE-SPYAD Tutorial

#11 Rays PC

Rays PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:31 PM

thanks Quietman, I guess I forgot to select all. If I use Firefox can I use IE-SPYPAD ???

thanks
Ray

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:22 PM

IESpyad does not work with Firefox, only Internet Explorer.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 Rays PC

Rays PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Orange Blossom,

I am currently running
AVG spyware
Avast anti virus
Spybot S&D
Ad Aware
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard

and I was looking thru the post with all the different products available and am wondering if I can use A-square(?) and if so, do I need it??

thanks

Ray

#14 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

I wish I had read this post earlier. I found out I had Coolweb Search 2353 - 2646 unchecked for some reason in the restricted sites section. I sat for about an hour checking them all cursing the fact there didn't seem to be a select all option and now you tell me!!.

I think I know why this happened. When I installed Spyware Blaster I had the Beta version of IE7. A couple of days later Microsoft released the finished version. I noticed that when I installed the updated version that it left all the boxes unchecked in the IE section which I then rechecked. Firefox was ok but I must have missed the restricted sites one as they were all well down at the bottom. Anyway problem fixed now and I learned something else.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:10 PM

Anyway problem fixed now and I learned something else.

That's what this discussion threads are all about. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users