Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Fails To Run

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike000000001

Mike000000001

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:44 PM

I have SUSE up and running on my machine on the third of 3 disks but quite liked the look of Ubuntu. However, neither version (the old DVD or latest CD) produces any screen for me. I get the initial messages and Ubuntu logo and then the screen blanks, in fact there is no longer any signal from the graphics card and the screen goes into sleep mode.

Shortly afterwards I get the musical jingle, so the OS has started OK.

My graphics card is an Nvidia 440.

Please help as I seem to be going round in circles. I have tried various boot parameters, like safe graphics, 1280 by 1024, etc, with no luck.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike000000001

Mike000000001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:44 AM

Well, I failed to get it to run on my desktop but it ran OK on my laptop and wireless access was OK. Strange. :thumbsup:

#3 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:07 AM

Is this just on the live CD? When booting, hit f1-f4 to see what they read. The NVIDIA 440 is supported by Ubuntu...so this is odd. Do you get a command prompt? if so, type "startx" (minus the quotations).
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users