Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Messages Installing Windows

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:43 PM

I cannot load the Windows Operating system, usually setup gets to the stage where it says "windows is starting up" and then a blue screen error message appears, which i tried to attach to this post but cant find a way to do so. Sometimes setup does not even get this far, it says that a file is missing or corrupt (the file it specifies varies), and sometimes setup just seems to hang itself and not do anything at all. The operating system disk is fully legal so it should boot up fine. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Is it something to do with my hardware?

I have isntalled windows many times before so I know what im doing but i have never encountered anything like this before. This is my first new pc build and im hoping this is just some sort of teething trouble and not anything too destructive!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:03 PM

Usually this is a problem with a bad CD - try cleaning it really well.

Or, it can be a hardware problem - try removing everything but the items from this guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/ Go to the steps 5 to 7 (to the point where you add the hard drive) and try installing then.

You can also run the preliminary memory test and disk drive test to see if either of those components is doubtful.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the reply, i dont think it can really be the CD, i have used lots of different CD's borrowed from various people and they all do the same. I have put in and old IDE HD now instead of the SATA one i bought with the system, and i will see if this works and report back.

#4 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:34 PM

Somtimes it may be caused by old files so try completly wipeing the hardirve then installing the Operating System

Edited by Siggyman, 25 November 2006 - 08:28 AM.

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:00 AM

Depending on your motherboard, you may have to load SATA drivers during the windows installation (there's a prompt at the bottom of the setup routine to press F6 to do this). It appears early in the installation routine - and without these drivers your motherboard may not be able to detect/use your SATA drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

firstly to siggyman, the HD is brand new and (i assume) totally empty. Ihave not been able to get an OS on it at all, and it as not been used for anything else.

second to usasma, The F6 thing in the installation routine is to install SCSI/RAID Drivers, i dont know what either of them are. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion and i will ask the supplier where i can get the drivers from.

#7 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:44 AM

Some Factory default settings have been known to mess up Windows Instalation but if not the your CD my be scratched
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:46 AM

The F6 thing is also to install SATA drivers even though it isn't stated on the screen. Reading your motherboard's manual may help to clear this up for you.

The SATA drivers are very similar to the RAID drivers (but aren't interchangeable). They normally come on the CD that came with the motherboard. Some searching at the manufacturer's website should reveal a downloadable version of them.

This is a big problem with this sort of setup (I have it with my Asus boards) - because you must have a floppy drive to install them. Nothing else will work (and I don't know of any workarounds).

Edited by usasma, 25 November 2006 - 09:48 AM.

#9 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

there was a cd that came with the mobo, which has some drivers on it. Perhaps i should have thought to use that. I kind of assumed that it would not be useful until windows was installed. I will try hitting F6 and putting that cd in. I dont have a floppy drive anymore, it broke and i disposed of it because i thought floppy drives are now redundant.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:16 PM

The CD won't help - you must have a floppy drive to do this. I had to get a USB floppy drive for my system because of this.

If the SATA drivers are on the CD, then there'll be a small utility there to make a floppy with them on it (which you'll have to do on another Windows computer). There should be instructions for this in the motherboard manual.

First tho', let us know the make and model of your motherboard so we can see if this is a possible cause - your motherboard may be new enough that this isn't even an issue.

Edited by usasma, 25 November 2006 - 01:16 PM.

#11 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

the mobo is an Asrock 775 Dual VSTA. All the specs of it is here:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...roductID=434321

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

Please look at page 27 of your motherboard manual to see the instructions on creating and using the diskettes.

Step 1 of section 2.13 tells you how to make the diskettes and Step 3 tells you how to install them

Section 2.14 (on page 28) describes how to setup your system when not using the RAID function.

Then, when Windows asks for the RAID/SCSI drivers - press F6 and insert the diskette. The manual is unclear on this step (due to inconsistencies in the setup routines on page 27 and 28).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users