Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 haran

haran

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:20 PM

I have Sony VAIO PCGK15 note book. Recently my computer started behaving erratically. I happened to check my memory on system properties and system information which show 192mb and 256mb instead of 512mb. PLEASE HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

The laptop comes with 512 mB of RAM installed. Although I can't verify it, I suspect that 64 mB is "shared video memory" - which means that your video card shares the RAM for it's own use.

So, you should have a total of 448 mB available (192 and 256).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:41 AM

Good point usasma!

On desktop machines during the POST your computer will check the amount of RAM you have installed there. This is more reliable way of identifiying how much RAM you have installed. However on a laptop this maybe unavaialble (probably hidden from view).

In the meantime pop over to Crucial's website and have a look at their Crucial memory advisor this will check your system and report back to you how much memory you have.

Also found this nugget of information on Microsoft's website.

Hope this helps!

Edited by FireKracker, 24 November 2006 - 06:42 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#4 haran

haran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:19 PM

Hi guys thanks for the comments. I think the memory shown 192 in system properties window is 256 -64 mb for video. the 256mb shown on system information is what the computer says is available. but the computer shipped with 512mb.

sony tells me to clean the slots and contact points when I got with them on chat help. On the other hand

their e-mail reply is as follows:

The Sony VAIO PCG-K15 Notebook is shipped with 512 MB DDR SDRAM (256MB x 2). The
amount of Random Access Memory (RAM) available to the operating system may be
less than the amount of RAM physically installed in the computer. Some video
adapters, antivirus applications, and the BIOS cache may utilize system memory.
This memory may no longer be available to the operating system and may not be
listed in the System Properties window.

I really do not understand this. It should still show 512mb in system information. I have one AV NORTON
and one video card and I do not know BIOS CACHE is and how to check. Will one of you gentlemen throw some light on this? thanks!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:31 AM

Use this free tool to check your system information (doesn't require any installation): http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

Scroll down to the section entitled "Memory" in the left hand pane and click on it. It'll show you how many modules are installed (I suspect 2 modules, each with 256 mB of memory). If only one shows, then you'll have to crack the case (remove the battery first) to see if there's 1 or 2 installed.

Each memory tool extracts information on your memory differently. Frequently a lot of the memory tools won't take the "shared video memory" into account when posting their results (the Windows System applet, General tab is one of these). This is because that memory is reserved for video and isn't accessible for regular RAM usage (so it's 'effectively' not there).

Basically, here's what you've got:

Scenario 1:
2 - 256 mB RAM modules (physical memory chips)
64 mB of it is shared video memory - and isn't recognized as RAM because of this.
If so, then you should see one stick with 192 mB and one stick with 256 mB

Scenario 2:
1 - 512 mB RAM module
64 mB of shared video memory.
If so, then you should see one stick with 448 mB of RAM

I suspect that you're seeing the 192 mB stick and the 256 mB stick - if so, this is normal.

If not, and you're only seeing one stick - then one stick isn't being registered. You've got 2 things to check in this case:
1) Remove the battery, crack open the case (grounding yourself on the metal of the case), remove the chips, clean the contacts and the slots that they go into. Then reinsert the chips, making sure that they're properly seated (I goofed on this one the other day) and boot up to see if they're detected properly.

2) Run this free utility to check the memory chips themselves. Follow the directions carefully and let the test run for at least 2 - 3 hours (overnight is better). Any errors that show up may be cause to suspect the RAM modules. http://www.memtest86.com/

If you do encounter errors - try running the test with only one of the modules installed. Then try it with only the other module installed - this will give a better idea of what faults exist.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 haran

haran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:55 PM

Hi John! Thank you. I have solved the problem. I removed and reseated the memory sticks. Memory of 448meg has been restored. The tests as suggested have confirmed the correct memory. Thanks guys once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users