Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Free Firewall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

In your opinion what is the most powerful free firewall? I am using zonealarm free right now

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

In my book that is the best I know. Obviously there is Kerio and some other free ones, but Zonealarm does what one expect it to do :thumbsup:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:03 PM

Even though it is no longer being developed or supported, I have found Sygate Personal Firewall not only to be a good firewall, but it also has useful logs, a backtrace and who-is function.
Comodo is also very good, but some of the functionality seems a bit obscure for the average user.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 23 November 2006 - 12:04 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 marcus antonius

marcus antonius

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

I am using Kerio.
Lycurgus did not intend for Sparta to conquer and rule other cities. His opinion was that the happiness of a nation, like the happiness of a man, consists in the exercise of virtue, and not in power or wealth. His laws were for the purpose of making the Spartans free-minded, self-reliant, and sober. Many philosophers have left behind plans for perfect governments, but Lycurgus was the author - not merely in writing but in reality - of a complete philosophical state, which others could not even copy.

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:40 PM

In my opinion, Comodo is a very sturdy and light firewall.
Recently, I have been having problems with ZoneAlarm and several times it has had launching errors, so I uninstalled it and switched to the newly released Comodo 2.3.6. It is lighter on system resources than ZoneAlarm and just as powerful in my opinion. (The interface is also more appealing to me).
But it's all a matter of opinion ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Sygate, and Comodo are all excellent firewalls.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#6 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

thanks for the input. Do kerio, syagte, and comodo allow locking of host file?

#7 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:16 AM

I'm not quite sure about that particular feature in all of the firewalls, but if you have Spybot, HostSecure, or any other Hosts manager (well at least most of them) have the ability to lock the hosts files.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users