Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet History And Documents

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:08 AM

hi all-
is there a way that i can delete all my internet history? and when i delete a file does it actually delete or does it just go away :thumbsup: to delete my internet history so far i have cleared my history in i.e and then i went to start>control panel>internet options>delete cookies. when something is deleted i want it deleted. im not trying to hide anything serious i just dont want anyone to snoop and try to bring stuff back from the dead.
thanks so much :flowers:

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 November 2006 - 01:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:17 AM

CCleaner (free): http://www.ccleaner.com/

If you customize any settings, be sure and backup your registry first. CCleaner is a very powerful tool and can hose your system in a heartbeat! It is safe to use if you leave the settings as they come from the website (you can change the cleaner settings for Windows and Applications without a lot of concerns).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:03 AM

Deleting files is like deleting a table of contents to a book, the actual pages remain. I would suggest that you investigate using Eraser, which will overwrite 1)unused disk space 2) files on demand 3)recycle bin contents. By overwriting files, they are unrecoverable, so be very careful about Eraser's use.

http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 cautiouz

cautiouz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

Availability of v5.3
Download Eraser v5.3 for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0 and 2000 from SourceForge (May 23, 2002; 751K). Free software.

Is it possible for me to use Eraser since I have Windows XP Home? I see most of the OS but not Win XP. Can I use this on my system?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:38 PM

In general you can use programs designed for Windows 2000 on Windows XP systems. If troubles do occur - there is a compatibility wizard available in Windows that will help it work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:05 PM

Eraser will work perfectly in XP.
Regards,
John

#7 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:57 AM

on the link this is what it says-
"for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0 and 2000 from SourceForge (May 23, 2002; 751K). Free software. "
does it still work for xp?

#8 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

Completely Deleting the Temporary Internet Files and index.dat (manual method)

XP/2K users (WinME/98 users see below)

Log on as Administrator and delete the desired <username> folder(s) and reboot.
(or log on as another user that has Administrator privileges)

Hint: You can also press "Ctrl-Alt-Del" twice at the Welcome screen to bring up the Administrator account or download: "AddAdministrator.reg" to add the Administrator to the Welcome screen.

To use: right-click and select: "Save Target As", locate the reg file and right-click and select: Merge Ok the prompt and reboot. [more info]
Example
"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

Note: where "username" is the account or profile that you suspect is corrupt. Remember to delete the folder (Content.IE5) not just the contents. A new "Content.IE5" and a set of random named sub-folders (4) and index.dat will be created on restart. You can not delete these folders from your own account.
Posted Image

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

I use Windows XP, Sharpie, and I use Eraser everyday, or I would not have not told you that it worked on XP. The confusion arises because the version information was never updated after Tolvanen turned it over to Trant. If you go to his page, referenced in the original Tolvanen site, you would get the same impression. However, the FAQ states:

"Which operating systems does Eraser support?
Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0, 2000 and XP (all versions, with or without service packs). Eraser has not been tested on other platforms."

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/faq.php

I realise the documentation is not only contradictory about this, and you are certainly wise to ask the question.

Regards,
John

#10 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

I use Windows XP, Sharpie, and I use Eraser everyday, or I would not have not told you that it worked on XP. The confusion arises because the version information was never updated after Tolvanen turned it over to Trant. If you go to his page, referenced in the original Tolvanen site, you would get the same impression. However, the FAQ states:

"Which operating systems does Eraser support?
Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0, 2000 and XP (all versions, with or without service packs). Eraser has not been tested on other platforms."

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/faq.php

I realise the documentation is not only contradictory about this, and you are certainly wise to ask the question.

Regards,
John

im still having a little trouble with erader. :thumbsup: i know its not something that i need to learn, but i want to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users