Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook (acer) With Onboard Video 64mb

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:43 AM

i was wondering since i upgraded it's memory to 512mb from an awful 256mb. Can i make 64mb video to 128mb video??? I know this will leave me with 384mb ram for the software and windows to run on, but it would run ok like that wouldn't it??? Or would it be better to get a video card???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:24 AM

Well I'm not an expert or anything, but I think if your computer needs more vram (video ram) it takes it from your ram. It would still be better to get a graphics card (if your into games and stuff) if not what you have now should be fine.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

Generally you can't get a new vid card for a notebook. There may be an option in the BIOS to allocate more RAM to the video card. If so, then I'd also suggest that you upgrade the RAM to 1 gB.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:23 PM

So really, for general word processing, no internet or game use, what it has is really enough then. I don't use it much but is handy when someone's hogging the Desktop PC.

By The way it takes a maximum of 1024mb ram (1GB).

Edited by Izzy, 23 November 2006 - 09:23 PM.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:56 PM

Well if you are just doing the general word processing, no internet or games well there isn't really a reason for augmenting your Video ram... and that leaves more ram for windows and stuff... I have the same ration as you (512 mb of ram and 64 dedicated to video) and I get by great.

But to awnser your first question. Yes you can bring it up to 128 by going into the bios.

BTW I also have an acer laptop

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

what model acer notebook do you have??? recent model or earlier??
I have Aspire 3000. It original had 256mb ram which was a little sluggish so i upgraded to 512mb (2X256mb) for $25. Only i'm asking to see if yours gets hot and cooler fan run almost all the time while using it. But when you do look underneath, theres no vents in the centre part where you can feel its hot, i was thinking of taking covers of the bottom to help keep it cool.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:38 AM

Laptops get dirty quickly. I'd suggest blowing out the vents with a bit of compressed air - that usually helps with any heat problems.

Also, be sure to only use it on a hard surface. I tend to use my laptop in bed, and just placing it on the comforter will cause the temperatures to rise dramatically.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:47 AM

Just a quick suggestion, you can get yourself a nice little piece of plywood, plexiglass or something else hard about 2 inches wider then the laptop (keeps the air moving away from the laptop) to put under your laptop when you use it in bed or other soft places.

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:11 AM

i did use it in bed a couple of times but i thought of soft things could help make it get hot so i got myself a little table beside my bed and you move it over your bed like those tables in hostpitals when you eat. But doesnt make any different. I heard of those things that you plug in the USB and some how rather it suppose to take heat away in my books i don't see how that works as the processor and the memory have the most heat. Maybe the need to make a new bottom for them and make them 95% vent like which could help. I might take all the covers off then sit it on the table turn it on without using it and see how long it takes before the fan starts running, as of now even in winter it starts going about 5 minutes after turning it on. Maybe because its a cheap budget acer $899AUD and yes MS Office 2003 Pro was included as a preinstallation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users