Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Out Of The Blue I'm Denied Access

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:00 AM

Tried to untick something from startup in msconfig when I got a denied access notice. Any clues?

What are some scenarios whereby I would no longer be recognized as administrator by msconfig? This is the only spot I've found where I am not recognized.

What stepe can I take, where do I go in Windows xp to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Edited by LaFemmeMichele, 23 November 2006 - 04:43 PM.

O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

Ok Some questions :

XP Home or Professional
What did you try to untick
Do you have more accounts on this computer

#3 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:43 PM

XP Home, ctfmon exe, I'm the sole user (one account).

I was never denied access before, run as administrator, although I know better. cftmon.exe was not there a month ago (made a list of all startup entries). I initially attempted to remove it because I googled ctmon by mistake & saw "dangerous trojan". Now each time I go near msconfig, regardless of whether or not I've attempted to change a setting, I'm denied access!

ctfmon is where it's supposed to be in Windows/System 32.

The Microsoft link re ctfmon.exe is odd... I do not have Microsoft Office on my PC. I have an unactivated/never used program, Microsoft Office Tools & also I noticed a couple Windows updates for the Microsoft Office (checked critical & custom at a couple points & took 'em all!)

Changes in the last month: Upgraded Windows Defender & then removed it, Upgraded Windows Media Player & removed URGE, added AVG Antispy, Belarc Advisor. I noticed the entry the night before I put Comodo FW on, but didn't try to remove it until afterwards. Ran a coulpe of scans to test FW stealth. Ah yes, I upgraded to IE 7. I Pass all AV, AT, AS scans. All security is up to date & I'm fully patched.

Thanks!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

http://www.castlecops.com/s795-ctfmon_exe.html

Edited by LaFemmeMichele, 23 November 2006 - 02:50 PM.

O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

#4 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:03 PM

OK. What you could do is the following :

Under control panel go to the part where the office updates are located and de-install them.
Secondly download Ccleaner here Install and do an update.
Under options/advanced tick the tab "prompt fpr registerback-up". Do two runs

1) Cleaner
2) Problems - Tick everything with the register At the end you will be asked to do a backup which you agree
As a default it will be put in "My documents ".
3) Reboot and try again

Let me know what happens

#5 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:24 AM

Fozzie I just noticed the very bottom of the Microsoft article, although throughout the article it refers to Office XP it includes my Microsoft Word. :thumbsup:

So I guess it stays. Wierd! So how in the world do I regain my administrator rights for System Configuration?

From the Microsoft FAQs:

APPLIES TO
Microsoft Access 2002 Standard Edition
Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition
Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition
Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition

Still think I should get rid of the Office updates?

#6 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:46 AM

Do you still have a restore point visible? The other option is to go to Run and type sfc /scannow you have to have your XP disc ready this will repair your XP installation.

Edited by fozzie, 24 November 2006 - 04:05 AM.

#7 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:25 PM

Could you please explain what you think is wrong, your plan of action, & rationale? No WinXP discs by the way.

I'm fine with cftmon.exe remaining in Startup, just want to be allowed use of msconfig--this is the only area that doesn't recognize me as full administrator--just want to make that clear.

Thanks! -M

Edit: I just found a thread online that links Denial Access MSCONFIG with a guys firewall. I'd just put Comodo FW on.

Look at the last post in the thread. (He could untick, I can't & his is post trojan episode--mine's not)

http://forums.windowsitpro.com/web/forum/m...p;enterthread=y

What do you think? Is there a correlation?

Edited by LaFemmeMichele, 24 November 2006 - 06:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users