Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:11 AM

I am trying to help a friend. She has Verizon DSL and it works fine with no problems. We are trying to add a Linksys Wireless G router. All of the connections are correct and the network icon shows that it is connected and there is a default gateway present. The problem is that we get "Page cannot be displayed", even though it says it is connected. I cannot understand what could be blocking Internet Explorer. We hooked up another known working router and received the same problem, so it is not the router. We can disconnect the router and use just the DSL modem and we can get on Internet Explorer just fine. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:45 AM

Linksys has an online chat option that works very well for simple connection issues (and eliminates the problems with different accents). They have an excellent script that covers almost any problem with your connection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

We downloaded their software to fix connection issues, but no luck. As for the Chat, we have to disconnect the router to be able to get online, then we can't troubleshoot the router because its not connected. I have done everything suggested from the Linksys site, but have not tried the chat. I am going back over there tonight to try again. I guess we can try the chat and see what they can suggest. Thank you ! :thumbsup:

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

I went to the Linksys Chat, she was very helpful and seemed knowledgable. But in the end no connection.
All the lights are lit correctly, and it shows the computer is connected, but still "Page cannot be displayed".
Linksys chat changed some settings, channel and IP address. I think we may try a different brand router, any suggestions for an easier setup? I have never had a problem with the Linksys before and it is still my first choice, but it doesn't seem to set up well with something she has. Thanks for your time !!

#5 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:49 PM

Have you tired right clicking on the network conection and cliking repair
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

The LinkSys chat was only the first option - it would fix any ordinary errors in the router. And, it would help to ensure that the router was working properly.

Please let us know what they had you do to your computer (not to the router) to try and fix this. This'll help us figure out what else needs to be done.

Edited by usasma, 24 November 2006 - 12:40 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:20 PM

I had tried the repair option for the network and was getting the error to clear the ARP cache, which I have done. Now it does complete the repair, but still nothing. I have released and renewed with the cmd prompt, it works but does not fix the problem.
I have flushed the dns also.
I ran Ccleaner, Winsockxpfix, and disabled the "Routing and Remote Services" that is a suggestion I found elsewhere. Still nothing.
Linksys chat had me hook up the laptop to the router #1 slot and then ran the setup from the http://192.168.1.1
She did not alter anything on the computer, just the router setup.
She had me change the Channel from 6 to 11 and the IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1
she said the router was using the same IP as the modem.. And she set up the wireless WEP which we were waiting on until we had it set up. She had me use the "Keep Alive" option, yet on my setup I am using the "Connect on Demand" option.
Broadcast is Enabled and we are using the PPPoE for the Verizon DSL setup.
We do have to put in a Username and Password and I verified these were correct by going to her Verizon account and logging on.
I thought maybe a virus or spyware may be the cause, but then I tried the setup with her brand new laptop wired into the router and still the same thing. I just have this feeling I am missing something simple and not thinking. Thanks again for all of your help!!

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:38 AM

What is the brand and model of your ADSL modem? A feature offered by many ADSL provider is a built in router with NAT. This is added security and is recommended. The problem comes in when you try to add a router to the mix. If the modem has a router built in you cannot use a second router in the default settings. It will have to be "bridged" or you will have to deselect the "Gateway" feature since the modem will have the Gateway router.
If the modem has a router installed you can 1) Go to the Linksys forum and they can describe how to configure the router. 2) Take the router back and purchase a WAP (Wireless Access Point) . This is what you has less the router feature. Think of it as a wireless hub. 3) Go with a wired hub or switch.
I cannot say for sure unless you post the brand and model modem but from what you are describing it is very possible.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:07 PM

OK, you've established that the connection works without a router, and that the router functions as it should. This leaves only Windows as the source of the problem. What version of IE are you using?

So, let's try some other stuff...
1) download the free Firefox browser ( http://www.mozilla.com/ ) and see if you can connect with it. (if you can, this points to IE as the problem)
2) disable any firewalls, antivirus, antispyware, security apps and see if you can connect with either IE or Firefox.
3) disable the current network connection, then create a new one.
4) rerun the network setup wizard.

If it's IE6 that's the problem, try reinstalling SP2 to see if that fixes it (it's the recommended way to repair IE6) If it's IE7 that's the problem, try google for repair of IE7. Reverting to IE6 will leave remnants of IE7 on your system - so that may/may not work.

#10 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

The modem is a Westell 6100, and I am almost positive it is just a modem. Thanks for the information on the Gateway settings Acklan, that will come in handy later, I am sure. I had all firewalls and antiviruses turned off. I tried creating a new connection and that didn't work either. I tried 2 wireless Linksys routers and a wired only Linksys router, none would work. She returned her Linksys and purchased a D-Link model WBR-1310 and it worked great, no problems setting it up at all. I wish I knew what was the cause, but probably never will. She had a Dell Desktop and a HP laptop(brand new). I tried using each one in the setup individually and neither would work. I just wonder if the Linksys Chat was going in the right direction, when she said the routers address 192.168.1.1 was using the same IP as the modem. The D-Link uses 192.168.0.1. But we did try altering the Linksys to 192.168.2.1 and that did not help. I am at a loss, but the good news is the D-Link is working great. Thank you for everyone's help and any other thoughts would be interesting, just incase this comes up again. Thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by Crizz44, 25 November 2006 - 06:48 PM.

#11 nomad55

nomad55

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:36 AM

Strangely enough, I just joined up to pose a similar issue.

My connection has been working fine for some time (Dell Wireless), but in the last couple of weeks has developed a glitch that I can"t identify.

When I log on the Internet connection is fine, but in anywhere from about 5 seconds to 5 minutes the connection dies, even though all the indicators say that the connection is fine/active. I can repair the connection, but then it dies again in the same way. The usual time to failure is between 60 and 120 seconds.

I'm convinced the problem is at the OS level, as when the link fails I can no longer connect to my wireless router either.

At no time do any of the connection indicators in the system tray recognise that there's an error.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe some patch was released 2-3 weeks ago that may be causing this problem...

FYI, I'm still running the XP Home that originally came with my Dell XPS Gen 4.

I'm completely stumped at this point; any help will be seriously appreciated.

Edited by nomad55, 26 November 2006 - 08:44 AM.

Cheers,
nomad.

"On the Internet, no-one knows if you're a dingo."

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

There's no standard for the router addresses. In the US the most common are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1

#13 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:20 PM

usasma, do you have any idea why another brand router would work so easily. I know that the 2 Linksys routers I had were working fine the last time I checked. The Linksys chat brought up the possible conflict with the IP addresses. I just wish I knew what the problem was in case it comes up again. Thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

Nomad55, I keep a backup router to test with, just in case the router is bad, but in this case my backup was a Linksys router and for some reason the Linksys was not working with her setup. Another thought , have you checked to see if your router has a firmware update? They can be helpful with connection issues.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:01 AM

Why would one brand work better than another? I'd suspect that it was based in the routines that the driver runs - some are better at different hardware than others are.

Generally I stick with what works. And when I have problems, I either worry 'em to death or switch brands. The switch usually works well because I haven't tried their troubleshooting yet - and they're usually returnable if they don't work.

I was a LinkSys devotee until problems sent me to NetGear. I suspect that DLink will be the next one for me! :thumbsup:

#15 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

Thank you usasma, I will keep that in mind. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure it out. I think I will keep another brand on hand for the future. Everything is still working great with the DLink ! Thanks for everyones help ! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users