Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Windows Components

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

apparently IE is the root of all my problems...

from what i can figure...trying to remove it/deny access to it for every program i have...

it starts by itself at random intervals...

i have been over and over my startup items multiple times any virus/adware scan i run comes up with nothing...but somethin is drivin the snot out of IE...and running my explorer task up to 99 quite often...

i don't have problems when i don't touch IE...but inevitably my wife or babysitter will run it instead of using firefox and all the problems come back...then i have 2-3 hours in front of the computer fixing/deleting/repairing files...

it's gettin on my nerves to say the least...help please...oh yeah...xp home sp2

Ed

Edited by xeddiejoex, 22 November 2006 - 04:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:19 AM

These are signs of a possible infection. Using IE, go to this site and perform a free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/ Choose the "Full Service Scan"

FWIW - I watched a friend use IEEradicator yesterday - and now the system is hosed (needs a repair install). IE is an integral part of the Windows operating system and can't safely be removed (although there are ways to "hide" it so casual users can't use it).

Edited by usasma, 23 November 2006 - 07:20 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

the fact that IE is an integral part of windows blows...

i think i got it...went on a "hunt" to find how to hide it and i've disabled almost (i say almost because i'm sure i missed one) every programs access to it...the only way i can see to run it right now is start > run > iexplore > >ok

hopefully that helps...we've been explorer.exe @ 99 cpu free for 3 days...that's amazing...first time in over 6 months...

never thought about hiding it before...thanks usasma...

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:52 PM

Your problem is not IE but malware that is residing in your computer that attacks using IE.

Hiding the problem is not resolving it, and resolving it is what you need to do.

Start with the scan usasma suggested and then post back giving us a description of exactly what happens so we can determine what should be done to fix the problem, not just hide it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users