Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Waiting. Waiting. Waiting

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:12 AM

Thanks so much for the link, Wildabeast!

CNet says our is "1389.2 kbps" - accurate reading or not, it was interesting to get an idea of the speed and I do appreciate your help.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 04:12 AM

Your welcome Mara, here is A Google Link that has a bunch of places to test. I got a few different results when I did them.

:thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#18 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:51 AM

Speed tests are for lack of a better term "subjective". This is due to many factors. several of which, are time of day and general traffic on the "net". The available bandwidth of the test site and the type of queue that the test site uses. The relative line conditioning of the users broadband line to their machine. The stability of the modem in use at the time. These are just some of the many factors that come into play when measuring your bandwidth speed.

The rule of thumb I advise my customers is to use at least 5 different test sites all over the world. Test at least 6 times during the day at random intervals. Test for 7 consecutive days, then average the results and that will be your most accurate average speed.

The analogy being that the web/internet is no different than the roads and highways that cars trucks and buses travel every day. Some are fast from point A to B. Some are rerouted and take longer for whatever reason. And believe it or not sometimes you get in rush-hour traffic. As well as every other obstacle that those "real" vehicles are at the mercy of.

Hope this has given a little insight to "speed tests" and their subjective accuracy.

Be (The Need for Speed) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#19 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the extra link, Wildabeast - I finally found a place on our internet provider's site where they list the speed we're paying for as "up to 1.5" - suspect the up to is the operative term - gentle grin - so I'm off to test my computer at various times at all the sites.

And thanks so very much for explaining the reality of speed on the internet, Animal. I honestly never realized before why sometimes it's so quick and other times very slow. (Guess I thought of it as similar to telephone lines - sort of 'dedicated') - ah, so so so much to learn!. Great explanation and I really do appreciate it!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#20 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:58 PM

On this subject, there is a very important point to be aware of which can cause a lot of head scratching.

Watch the size of the 'b' or the 'B'. ISPs usually advertise their wares in bits/sec (bps), because it sounds much better, while the practical measurement is Bytes/sec (Bps). As there are 8 bits in a Byte, the actual speeds may be 8 times slower than you are expecting. Quoted speeds will usually be around the possible maximum while a number of factors will affect this adversely as mentioned by Animal.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 25 November 2006 - 11:36 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#21 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:05 PM

Thanks Rowal - didn't know that either so do appreciate your explanation! (I must confess I spend a great deal of time 'head scratching' while trying to learn all I can about these magical computers :thumbsup: ).

Edited by MaraM, 25 November 2006 - 11:06 PM.

#22 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:41 PM

Ah yes, but I bet you are having a lot of fun at the same time Mara. I don't think there is a better or more friendly site than this one right here.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users