Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add Or Remove Can't Delete Vs Add-in For Ie

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sobeit

Sobeit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:21 PM

I hope I'm posting on the right thread. I have a few problems but will post about this one first.

My computer is clean, I think :thumbsup: I have Windows SP2 and update regularly. I use Panda anti virus and firewall, also Spybot S&D and Adaware SE. I delete cookies and temp files daily as well as doing disc cleanups and defrags on a a regular basis. I scan regularly and all looks very clean.

I don't know how I got this VS Add-in for IE or what it came in on but I just recently noticed it. I just found out it wasn't a good thing and want to get rid of it. In my control panel, it says it is used regularly...??? Last time on the 19th. I don't have a clue for what.

I have deleted it from my program files...the folder was empty when I deleted it. Add or Remove Programs will not delete it.

(I also have a Music program that refuses to be deleted as well from Add or Remove. I paid for this program annually. They no longer serve my area so there is no point of having it taking up space...23 MB) It was never a default player.

Thanks for any help..still learning here :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:18 AM

First, try this free online scan to double-check your system protections: http://safety.live.com/ Choose the "Full Service Scan"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sobeit

Sobeit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:29 PM

Thanks John :thumbsup:

That took an hour and a half! 1 issue detected In Virus and spyware.

524 Invalid entries....what does that mean?...in registry scan.
Disk cleanup 6.9 MB
0 Ports open
Defrag not necessary

Happy Thanksgiving!

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:51 PM

Actually, 1 hours is sorta quick! :thumbsup:

What was the issue in Virus and Spyware? Was it a virus - or just a tracking cookie? If it was a virus/spyware this could be the cause of the problems - a cookie wouldn't cause it.

Invalid entries are entries in your registry that aren't valid - meaning they don't do anything that Windows recognizes. They are usually safe to fix.

The other stuff looks good - 6.9 mB is a whole lot less than it takes off my system when I use it!

Were you able to get rid of the Add-In?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Sobeit

Sobeit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:49 AM

Hi John :thumbsup: It didn't say if it was a virus or cookie..just an issue..under virus' and spyware scan...but I'm thinking cookie or spyware. I deleted an "unopened" downloaded program (paint.net..looked suspicious..shhh :flowers: ) so the disk cleanup was probably the 6.9 MB in the recycle bin...not sure, though. When I checked VS Add In for IE in Control Panel ..Add or Delete..it was gone!!!! Yes!!! Still don't know what that was about or where it came from! The Musicmatch program is in my 1386..(did a search)...loved the program..paid money for it, lol... but they don't provide to my area anymore...they are in CA and I'm in BC, Canada....bummer..I miss it! Still can't delete it from Add or Remove. Not a tech, by any means :inlove: but have tried hard to keep things up to date...read my first post. I don't really know what 1386 is either :trumpet:

Isn't that an awful lot of invalid entries...524?...jeesh...scared me! Why wouldn't Windows recognize them? So many questions, lol..like I said..still learning here...but trying hard! :cool:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

Paint.Net is a legitimate program - it's basically an improved version of Paint developed by some college/university. I've used it on occasion.

I had 700+ invalid entries the first time that I ran the scan. If they're not actually interfering with the operation of Windows you won't notice them (although they do slow down your system a small bit).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users