Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virtual memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 curly1880

curly1880

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:19 PM

hello

i have a home computer and i use windows xp. Well i love to play halo on the computer but before i play i get a error message saying i have too low virtual memory. Is there some tips or solutions u can give me to cut back on my memory or give some advise on the subject. Every comment is wonted so thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:48 PM

Awesome question :thumbsup: I think I can help you out a little, before I sign off.

Virtual memory=physical RAM+swap file(AKA paging file)

Windows has a swap file that is a portion of your hard drive, but used as RAM. It is not as fast as RAM, but it is better then not being loaded at all.

If you look at your desktop (the physical one that you can knock, not the one on your computer screen), then your RAM is everything withen your arms length: your keyboard, mouse, paperwork, and even monitor are some of these items you can touch.
Using this, a swap file is like a shelf behind your back, withen arms length. You can still reach it, but it will take longer to move your arms, get the items, and place it in front of you.
When your desktop becomes cluttered, you want to move some of the items back to the shelf behind you.

This is very similar to have a swap file works. Windows knows what has been used recently, and what has not been used in a while. The applications and files that have not been used in a while, are placed on the "shelf", and loads it when needed.

Knowing this, there are a couple of things you can do to get Halo to run better: add more RAM, eliminate running programs, or get (upgrade if you already have one) a video card.

Because adding more RAM or adding a video card would not only cost money, but would require a little more research catered to your specific computer, I would like to offer a few pointers on playing games. Upon my return later, I would like to explore the option of those though.

-If the game does not need to be online, unplug the internet. Then, and ONLY then, you can disable your A/V program and firewall. Be SURE to enable those programs before you plug the internet back in.

-Defrag your hard drive in Safe Mode. This will give the computer a larger space to work with. While you are there, you can even remove some applications in the add/remove programs, and delete your recycle bin. If you do these extra steps, do so before defragging.

-Do not have any other applications running. Close as many as possible, but DO NOT use the Task Manager, Processes tab to do so. These are not the same as applications-once again LEAVE THESE ALONE. If you want to use the Task Manager to close applications, then do so in the APPLICATIONS tab.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 curly1880

curly1880
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:04 PM

when i go to the processes it says if u discont these programs it can leave programs not able to save and it might harm your compuer is there cerenite programs i just shouldnt remove or what

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:36 PM

That is also a very good question. To answer it, I'd say this:
  • Applications running, shown in the "applications" tab, that are not needed while you play Halo, you can end.
  • You don't need to "end task" there, though. Simply exit programs you aren't using.
  • Processes are are little different. You can learn to identify which is which, though.
  • Many run "background" programs that consume memory resources.
  • some of them need to startup when you boot, but are not required when you are up & runnin'
  • Those you can safely "end task".
  • A good example of one of them might be a music player auto-update .exe
  • Another might be a program feature of some anti-malware that it's safe to say you don't need while playin' Halo.
  • Unfortunately, the system-required .exe's are all mixed in at the process tab.
  • So you need to learn about what's what before you can safely ignore the generic message cautioning you about potential problems.
The best way to do that is to identify each of the .exes running. Use these resources online to study, and then you can decide for yourself which to end when you play. Otherwise, you might need more RAM installed or other system upgrades that will
require time & dollars to accomplish.

click on "task list" and look up alphabetically the .exe you wonder about
copy/paste the .exe or type it in carefully. Hit "search".
more difficult here, but fill in exactly the xxxxx.exe to the filename & "search"
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users