Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Laptop And Desktop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cainrazor

cainrazor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:46 AM

I just purchased a new laptop with a wireless internet card and am going to be getting a router as well. My desk top has cable internet and the printer now i want to be able to share both of these with the laptop. How do i do this. I thing the internet thing is plain enough but how can i network the printer? Am i able to just use the router for both? Or do i need a cable. Both systems have XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:07 AM

There is a device called a Print Server. You can buy a stand alone that just plugs into an available ethernet port, or by a router that has a USB or parralell port built in. All the major brand make router with print servers built in. The nice think about a print server is you do not have to leave a computer on. Most consumer grade print servers are about the size of a pact of cigarettes. They are fairly simple to configure also.

DLink

NetGear

Belkin

Linksys
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

For the printer if you leave your desktop on all you have to do is enable file and printer sharing...

If you go with this option just post back and we will get you on your way

#4 cainrazor

cainrazor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:36 PM

i will probably just go with keeping the computer on if it means less hassel. I asume i should be able to just use router.
Thanks

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

A print server is not a hassel, but networking your printer throght a computer is a good solution. It really only depends on your needs as to which method is right for you.

#6 cainrazor

cainrazor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:43 AM

I guess my needs are: simple- just need occasional printing from wireless laptop. That is my only concern I want it to be wireless. Printing won't be an everyday thing. Most of the word prossing will be done on desktop. But it is easier to bring a laptop with to clinicals. Between school, kids and work, I don't have to much time to play around with setting this up. I researched it a little on Linksys' website and a router like a LinkSys WRT54GS Wireless G Broadband Router- should have the ability to network printers??????? I just am not sure how to do it. Besides local computer store doesn't stock printer servers (small town life). I appreciate all the help and hopefully I can figure this out. May be it comes with picture instructions :thumbsup:

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

Ok well here I my suggestions.

First of all you can get routers that have built-in print servers.

Second of all since I understand that you aren't going to be printing everyday from your laptop and you just want to bypass the hassle of having to disconnect ect... I would suggest you just go with the setting in windows for the File and Printer Sharing. All you have to do is make sur the printer and desktop are on and everything will work flawlessly...

#8 cainrazor

cainrazor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

Thanks,
Klinkaroo, and acklan your advised has been very helpful with my descion. I do believe i will just get a router w/ a printer server. I believe a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster should work (i hope) It didn't directly say had a printer server but said you can share a high-speed Internet connection, files, printers, and multi-player games with the flexibility, speed, security and simplicity. SO I think that is what i am going to get. Now comes the "fun" part of puting it all together. I miss the days when Basic was the system and all you had to do is plug in to a tv. :thumbsup: Thanks Again Happy Holidays

#9 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:06 PM

Ok well just checked out the router and it does not have a built in print server.

Yeah before it was just one cable from the vcr to the tv... Now my dad has a hard time connecting the three color cables to the three color jacks on the tv... THANK GOD We don't have composite or a home theatre system...

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:41 AM

If you decide to go with that router, Linksys make a print server that was design to go with the Linksys WRT54GS Router. It is the Linksys WPS54GU2 Wireless-G USB Print Server. There about $90.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users