Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioned Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikey_d

mikey_d

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:24 AM

I recently installed Windows 2000 on my father's computer, which has a partitioned hard drive. The problem is that everything is being saved on the smaller D drive instead of the C drive and now the D drive is completely full. I thought that you could have just the OS files on the D drive and have every else saved on the C. I'm guessing I did something wrong during the install, is there anyway to change it now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:46 AM

This recipe will change the default location that windows installs programs. I'm a two hard disk-drive guy with numerous partitions. I like to keep my main drive for my OS and install programs on one of the partitions of the main drive.

So if you want to change the location where you install programs but windows always wants to install programs to "c:\program files" and changing it everytime can be a pain. After you back up your registry, this is how you can change this default location.

1. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
2. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files
3. Change this to whatever directory you wish. I changed it to D:\Program Files for example.

Remember you have to reboot for your changes to show.

For more info look here (Googled results)
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:30 AM

You can add some free space to your D: partition using Disk Director by Acronis. I've executed such operation and it took 40 seconds of adjustments and one reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users