Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having A Problem With Aol

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mavrick

Mavrick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:29 PM

I am very new to any forum. I will do my best to describe the problem and what I have done to fix it. I am sure I will leave out something.

Currently problem description: When I do the dial up on my laptop it dials the number and just before I get fully connected I get a pretty blue screen with a lot of writing on it. It lasts about 3 nano seconds and then shuts my computer down then my computer restarts and lets me log back into windows. I cannot run any on line virus scans as I cannot get on the internet. I have tried to use my other desktop computer to download a scan and put it in my laptop to see if I could get it to run and it tells me that the package is wrong. I have talked to AOL and completely removed AOL and did a re-install and still get the same results. On the Blue screen I did see the word near the bottom "Dump" that is about the only word I could actually see. I did rum the snitfraud scam check and removed the 2 red dots on my task bar and it did say it founs an infected file and removed it. I am not sure how to without buying software fix this issue I am having. I am not a computer Geek in any way and could sure use any help you can provide.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

What did AOL tech support tell you? Did you recontact them after the reinstall since the problem continued?

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. You should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error code when it happens.

To change the recovery settings and disable automatic rebooting, do this:
1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under "Startup and Recovery" click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
4. Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
5. Click "OK" and reboot.

Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem.

Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation.

If your using Windows XP SP2, log on as an administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
Press OK or Hit ENTER.
A dos Window will appear. Type or copy/paste the following: netsh winsock reset
Hit ENTER.
When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Reboot your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users