Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help Yesterday! Please

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 agnesgunk

agnesgunk

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

I am getting a msg local policy of system does not permit you to
logon. What the hell is happening? It was fine when I logged off last. I can
access a limited user account only. When I do, I can go into my
explorer and see my admn file with all my documents and such but it will not
let me access anything and it shows it is empty. OH NO!!! I am not
computer savy and do not understand some of the fixes I have read online.
What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:51 PM

well, there are password crackers on the net a different places, most requre a floppy drive however
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

Hey guys I just want to remind you Bleeping Computer Forum does not condone or permit discussion of defeating security features. We all know they are out there but the Forum Rule prohibits such discussion. If the Topic goes any further in that direction this Topic will be Closed.

acklan, Forum Moderator

Edited by acklan, 21 November 2006 - 10:00 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

I was simply stating that, I was not intending on going any further

PSP M33 USER.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

That is cool. One of my job is just to clarify when members approach the line. It's all good in this case. Keep up the good work.

#6 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:43 PM

lol. All the crackers I know require physical access to the computer you're working on.

PSP M33 USER.

#7 agnesgunk

agnesgunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:31 PM

I am totally confused. I am the administrator of my computer. I know my password and user name. I just cannot logon for some reason. I can log on as another limited user but, I cannot get to any of my admin tools to either create another admin account or find or access my files that are under my admin acct. Why did I get the local user msg and why can't I logon as that user anymore?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:40 PM

Try logging on in safe mode.

It seems apparent that your computer may have become infected by a virus or some other malicious code that has affected your user profile or someone else with an administrator level account has changed your access level.

Are there any other user accounts setup on this computer (hopefully one with administrator credentials)?

If so, use one to change the access level of your account back to admin.

Once this situation is resolved, use Windows System Restore to revert to a system state that predates the problem and then begin to examine your computer for malware.
It that point we will instruct you how to do it and what to use, but first let's get this problem resolved.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 November 2006 - 08:46 PM.

#9 agnesgunk

agnesgunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

Thank you so much for trying to help me. Unfortunatley there is no other admin access. I can only access a limited account and cannot even create any other users from there.

#10 agnesgunk

agnesgunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

and when I go to the users account it doesn't even show my icon or anything anymore. It only shows my guest icon which is limited. Unfortunatley I tried to protect my computer to the extreme and denied my guest account just about all access to anything. How do I start in the safe mode?

#11 agnesgunk

agnesgunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:27 PM

I cannot access my help, search or download any files either.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

One last option would be to briing it to a computer shop, prove you own the computer, and have a legit shop reset the password.
The reason we cannot describe this technique is obvious. We cannot verify you own the computer in question. I am not calling you dishonest, but how would you feel if your kid, student, or employee was given information that defeated you security. I am sure you understand.
Local mom & pop shops are usually very reasonable, and it should only take a few minutes.

#13 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

This is assumeing your using XP

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it is assumed here that your XP CD is bootable as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be Press any key to boot from cd

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of pressing any key to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.

Hope this helps

Edited by Siggyman, 23 November 2006 - 11:07 PM.

Posted Image

#14 agnesgunk

agnesgunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:42 PM

Siggyman,You sound like the person that can really help me. Thank you so much. Unfortunatley (what luck I have had?) I bought my laptop at a indoor yardsale and it already came loaded with the software. What now?
No serial numbers for xp version avail either because of no paperwork other than my receipt.

#15 agnesgunk

agnesgunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:48 PM

I also noticed when I start up, I have a f10 and f12 option. Can I do anything from either of these places?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users