Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Broadband

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Irishace

Irishace

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:12 PM

hey, i just broadband today and i am trying to set it up, after i have went threw the installation process i cant get online, it says that a network cable is unpluged! i am trying to connect threw the ethernet cable! as you can probaley i am a complete beginner! any other info needed just say!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:24 PM

Oh, behold the joys of dealing with the many wires of computers! LOL! Is there an instruction book that you can look at, or a wiring diagram? I'm assuming that you're connecting directly to a modem (as compaired to going wireless). I would check the connections and make sure that everything is plugged into where it's supposed to go. Follow the wire from the back of the modem (ensuring that it's plugged in tightly) all the way to your computer (and ensure that that's plugged in tightly too!).

Once you verify that everything is plugged in at the correct points, unplug the power cord from your modem, wait like 1 minute, then plug it back in. This will "reset" the modem, and hopefully your computer will pick it up.

Post back and let us know how you make out with this! Good luck :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Irishace

Irishace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:31 PM

yeah i have done all this and went threw the instruction booklet, unpluged it a few times and still nothing! im not sure but i think it could be something to do with the ethernet port on the computer but im not sure, when i go to device manager it says that the SiS 900-based PCI Past Ethernet Adaper is working properly. is there any other way i could test this! i could be completly wrong tho! thanks for your help!

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:46 PM

Well, the first thing that jumps out at me is that perhaps your ethernet cable is bad. If you can replace that, then please try that (although, I've only seen a small handful of cables to bad, but it could still happen).

Do you have a firewall that's keeping you from making an internet connection, including the built in Windows firewall? If you do have a firewall, then try disabling it then making a connectiont to the internet. Also, go into the control panel, and double click on "Network Connections". A new window will open. Now, do you see anything up top, under "Lan or Highspeed Internet"? There might (should?) be an icon that says "Local Area Connection...." If so, right click on it then click "Status". Another window will pop up. Click on the support tab, then click on repair. This will allow windows to try to renew the IP address, and will hopefully allow you to connect to the internet.

If this fails, you can try running the "New connection Wizard", but it's been so long since I've done that, that I can't remember anything about it! I believe that it's pretty straight forward, and that you just answer simple questions the whole way through.

Do you have a router installed (not to be confused with a modem!)?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Irishace

Irishace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:10 PM

The cable is good, i tryed using a cable from my friends and sill dosnt work! the only firewall that i have is the windows one and i have tryed turning it off! i tryed the status and repair thing and still no joy! ill try the New connection Wizard now and let you no! i have a hub which as far as i no is an upgrade from a router, not sure again tho! Thanks for all your help stevealmighty

#6 Irishace

Irishace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

i tryed the status and repair thing, and were it says local area connection, under it it says network cable unplugged (when its not) and u cant select the status, im sorry for my very bad explanations!

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:54 PM

We had this same exact problem a couple years ago when we first got broadband internet. It turns out it was actually the computer! The problem was that our winsock files were corrupt. We called the broadband company and they told us to call Dell (the company of our computer) about it. I suggest if all else fails just call your ISP and if they have no idea perhaps ask about this. I don't really remember the procedure at all except for having to move a file somewhere. It wasn't to complicated and they gave us the instructions over the phone which took like 3 minutes.

Also another problem that we had (probably should of posted this first) was that we had our cable split too many times. Are all of your lights coming on your modem? If not this could be a possible explanation.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 Irishace

Irishace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

all lights are coming on apart from the data light which is the ethernet 1! do u no anyware on the internet that i could find out more about the problem that you had?

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:58 AM

Well I just goggled my winsock files are corrupt and theres a few things that came up. I don't know if you should jump to conclusions that this is it. Call your Internet Service Provider and tell them there's something wrong and maybe suggest this if they have no idea.

We orginally were going to get Verizon DSL and this problem occured. My dad had to sit on the phone for like an hour and a half and got transferred like 3 times and eventually the guy just said "well there's something wrong with your computer" and then hung up. So we got internet from our cable company and they told us that the winsock files were corrupt. So you may need to suggest this.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

There is a winsock repair program that I've used in the past, with maybe a 75% success rate....but I can't remember the name of it...

Ok, just googled it and came up with this one HERE (which I've used maybe once or twice, can't remember if it worked or not, been a few years!). Read everything and follow the instrutcions to the Tee!

However, since you said that you just now got broadband, I'd call up your ISP and make sure that they've actually activated your account, better be safe than sorry. Now, they should also have techs that can help you on the phone.

I'd have to agree with Sterling 14 about the issue being the comptuer (Windows). If it's not the Ethernet port itself, then it's most likely windows (winsock). There's some other things, like making sure that your onboard lan it enabled in the BIOS, but I don't think that's it if it recognizes that there's no cable plugged in.

Try the Winsock repair program. Do a search for "Winsock repair" and "Winsock repair programs" (without the quotes) and do some reading on it. A winsock file gets messed up when things are removed incorrectly (programs that have been removed either manually like deleting the file instead of uninstalling the program, or certain spyware removal programs can remove parts of a program).

Hopefully, repairing your winsock file will fix it. If not, then you may have to reinstall Windows XP, which really isn't all that bad, although it's somewhat time consuming. I was hoping that this would be an easy fix and not be a "sorry, you've got to reinstall windows"....

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:01 AM

Try going to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Are there any red x's or yellow !'s?

Then, try to reinstall SP2 on your system - at times this will "repair" Internet Explorer.

Or, try this free browser (Firefox) to see if the problem occurs with it also ( http://www.mozilla.com/ ). If it also has problems, then the problem isn't in IE - if it doesn't have problems, then the problem is with IE.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users