Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Black Out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew.

Matthew.

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

Hi there.

My Benq brand LCD monitor, FP731, today, just started fading out while I was playing a game. Now, the monitor won't turn back on. I've turned on and off the computer but no luck. Could I have blown a fuse in the monitor? Or the lifespan of the monitor just ended? Afterall, I did justt get this monitor last year. However, it has been used quite frequently, almost 24/7 since the computer is always left on.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Matthew., 21 November 2006 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 max3808

max3808

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:19 AM

Hi, Matthew,

Does the monitor work with another computer? Maybe a laptop? Try this first.

Your problem could be the result of overheated capacitors on the Display card, or maybe heat build-up inside the computer case resulting in that.
The same thing happened to my son's computer, and I thought he had it on for too long playing games. I opened it up one day to find that a couple of large capacitors on the AGP display card(little things in black or grey plastic shrink-tubing, about the size of your first segment of the little finger) were leaking some fluid!
To cut a long story short I replaced the 128Meg board temporarily with an older 64Meg model lying about and the problem went away....

That is, until I put the original board back, (me having replaced all eight of the 'caps one by one). Now it sort of blacks out once in a long while and comes right back again...in 15 or so seconds... He needs a new computer anyway , so I'll leave that, haha.
I'm convinced my problem was the lousy display card, a Winfast A170...
They make better ones this day, with Polyester 'caps instead. No fluid inside anymore.

Try replacing the display card first. It's cheaper than buying a new Monitor.

Hope this helps.

Max3808

Edited by max3808, 22 November 2006 - 07:20 AM.

#3 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:15 PM

Hey there, Max3808!

Thanks a lot for helping me out with this problem. So far, I've connected the monitor to my other computer and the monitor still remain as a black screen. No luck so far.

Anways, I was also wondering if it could be the plug that burned out and if replacing the cord that connects the monitor to the computer would have an effect. Or maybe its just the monitor. =\

Matthew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users