You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a NotePad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.
Please download SmitfraudFix
Extract the content (a folder
) to your Desktop.
Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode
by doing the following :
- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
- Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
- Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
- Choose your usual account.
Once in Safe Mode, open the SmitfraudFix
folder again and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #2 - Clean
by typing 2
and press "Enter
" to delete infected files.
You will be prompted: "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y
and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.
The tool will now check if wininet.dll
is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y
and press "Enter".
The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart it into Normal Windows.
A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process; please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply along with a new hijack log.
The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txtWarning: running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background
Download AVG Anti-Spyware from http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
and save that file to your desktop. Note: This is NOT the Anti Virus from AVG.
When the trial period expires it becomes feature-limited freeware but is still worth keeping as a good on-demand scanner.
1. Once you have downloaded AVG Anti-Spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double click it to launch the set up program.
2. Once the setup is complete you will need run AVG Anti-Spyware and update the definition files.
3. On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.
o Next select the "Start Update" button. The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
4. Once the update has completed, select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
5. Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
6. Under "Reports"
o Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
o Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close AVG Anti-Spyware. Do Not run a scan just yet, we will run it in safe mode.
1. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode then hit enter.
IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while AVG Anti-Spyware is scanning as it may interfere with the scanning process:
2. Launch AVG Anti-Spyware by double clicking the icon on your desktop.
3. Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
4. AVG will now begin the scanning process. Please be patient as this may take a little time.
Once the scan is complete, do the following:
5. If you have any infections you will be prompted. Then select "Apply all actions."
6. Next select the "Reports" icon at the top.
7. Select the "Save report as" button in the lower lef- hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system (make sure to remember where you saved that file. This is important).
8. Close AVG Anti-Spyware and reboot your system back into Normal Mode.
Post the log from AVG and a new HiJack log