Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Bar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

Hello, I'm not sure what is happening so I thought I'd ask.
This has happened about 4 times in the past couple of weeks and I'm not sure how it happens. I connect using a dialup, normally after I connect to the internet the connection icon appears on my task bar, but sometimes I can't see the icon. Then I right click on the task bar, then click properties, then customize. When that opens I see that the internet connection icon is set to "Always Hide". I never set it that way. I always set it to "Always Show". I can't figure out how that gets changed and like I said before, it has happened about 4 times in the past couple of weeks. Any ideas about why this is happening? OS is WinXP Sp2 fully updated including IE7. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:10 AM

It's probably a setting in the modem itself or in the connection to the ISP that is overriding your tray display.

#3 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:17 AM

It's probably a setting in the modem itself or in the connection to the ISP that is overriding your tray display.

Not sure. I've had this computer for about 6 years. The modem was upgraded from an "intel" to a U.S. Robotics 56k v.92 modem over a year ago. This problem just started happening a couple of weeks ago.
If it is a setting in the modem how do I change it? If it is the ISP overiding my tray display how do I change that? Thanks!

#4 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

not a likely answer to your problem but possible:
do you have deep freeze if you do your computer resets itself when it is restarted
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

not a likely answer to your problem but possible:
do you have deep freeze if you do your computer resets itself when it is restarted

What is deep freeze? I don't recognize the name so I guess I do not have it. Thanks. I still don't know what is causing it. Doesn't seem to be a big deal, but it is odd.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:51 AM

He is talking about any large electrical appliance which may cause a surge in your power supply when it turns on. It is a very good idea to have your delicate equipment protected by a 'surge protector', as expensive a one as you can afford, but even a cheap one is better than none. All sorts of spikes and surges in the mains from lightning or crashes into poles can damage your equipment.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

He is talking about any large electrical appliance which may cause a surge in your power supply when it turns on. It is a very good idea to have your delicate equipment protected by a 'surge protector', as expensive a one as you can afford, but even a cheap one is better than none. All sorts of spikes and surges in the mains from lightning or crashes into poles can damage your equipment.

Cheers

WOW, that could cause the problem I'm having?? Seems like alot of other things would be affected too if that was the cause. I do have a surge protector. And the problem that this topic is concerning is the only one that I'm aware of. So how do I take my investigation further? Or is that the only thing that could be causing the problem? :thumbsup:

Edited by flyingbowtie, 22 November 2006 - 05:37 PM.

#8 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:49 PM

first of all i'm referring to deep freeze being the problem itself as it resets your computer after it is turned off but i realize that's not it.

when you do connect to the internet it works normally but the connection icon doesn't appear right? If you sent a screenshot it would be helpful for solving your problem. (press print screen button on your keyboard to do a screen shot then you can paste it)
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

first of all i'm referring to deep freeze being the problem itself as it resets your computer after it is turned off but i realize that's not it.

when you do connect to the internet it works normally but the connection icon doesn't appear right? If you sent a screenshot it would be helpful for solving your problem. (press print screen button on your keyboard to do a screen shot then you can paste it)

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner, I've been away.
You are correct, when I connect the icon does not appear. But when I click the arrow to show hidden icons, it appears. When I go to "Customize" in the Task Bar Properties, it has somehow changed to "Always Hide". That's what's odd. I always have it set to "Always SHow". So it's not a problem with the icon itself, it is a problem with a setting somehow changing by itself.
This does not happen alot and has not happened again since making this post. Has only happened 4 times.
I did get a warning after a reboot yesturday that said that the system had recovered from a critical error and I sent the error report that was created. The technical report said that it was a "Stop" error? Relating to out of date drivers. I'm working on that now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users