Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet - How To Close A Page

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 joesox

joesox

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:11 AM

I just finshed installing norton basic 2006 and internet security 2007.
Now everytime I close an Internet page, even when I am offline, it switches to about: blank in the address bar (form the address/web page I was reading) and then it comes up with a iexpolre.exe problem window and says the usual do you want to send this info to microsoft...any idea?
I did send the info to miscrosoft but to no avail.
This is especially annoying because if I click No I don't want to send it closes all the Internet pages open at that time.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Edited by joesox, 21 November 2006 - 06:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:02 AM

What did you do to uninstall the Norton aps?

Norton (Symantic) Removal Tool
(Must use Internet Explorer only for this tool to function)
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...v=&osv_lvl=

#3 joesox

joesox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:25 AM

I uninstalled Norton Antivirus 2002 following the instructions I found when I installed the other two (before actually)...Start>Programs>Norton Antivirus>uninstall...
At the time it seemed ok with what I did.

I still have the installation files..are you suggesting to re-install the aps?

Edited by joesox, 21 November 2006 - 09:26 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

I believe that he's suggesting that you use the Norton/Symantec removal tool to remove all the "leftovers" that Norton leaves on your system even after it's been uninstalled.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 joesox

joesox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:22 AM

Thanks a lot. I will try that.
At the same time another problem occured.
When I start up my pc an error message comes up saying he can't find the msa64chk.dll file and cannot run the app.
Although I found out that the file is not useful I'd like to remove the message (actually the all trying to run the program). Maybe it will disappear when I complete the removal. I'll let you know.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:05 AM

Thanks a lot. I will try that.
At the same time another problem occured.
When I start up my pc an error message comes up saying he can't find the msa64chk.dll file and cannot run the app.
Although I found out that the file is not useful I'd like to remove the message (actually the all trying to run the program). Maybe it will disappear when I complete the removal. I'll let you know.

You may want to read this article.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 joesox

joesox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:29 AM

TY.
Since the pc itself says: "I cannot find the file" and since I have run several virus check I am quite sure the file is missing.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

This is likely the result of the virus being cleaned from your system - but the associated changes have not been cleaned up. So the program looks for the virus file, but can't find it since it's been cleaned.

We'll need a complete description of the error message and some screen shots to start figuring out what's trying to call this bugger.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:24 PM

Run the Windows One Care Free Scan which hopefully will remove this autodialer from your registry.

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Windows Explorer only)
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#10 joesox

joesox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:55 AM

Update:
I uninstalled Norton and reinstalled it. Still nothing new.
I also received ServicePack 2 from Microsoft. I installed it and although the PC seems faster still I have the two probs.

1. everytime I reboot or start the pc there is the error message about not being able to load msa64chk.dll.
2. everytime I close an Internet page it goes (in the address bar) about: blank and it shuts down.

I will try your last suggestion next.

Thanks again

p.s. I do not live in the US.

Happy Thanksgiving!

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:04 PM

Sounds like your internet was probably broken by the removal of the Mostar Dialer.

Since reinstalling SP2 didn't fix it, I'd have to suggest a repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users