Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Tips/tricks On Maximising My Cpu Performance?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Vinni

Vinni

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:26 AM

Hey guys, does anyone have any neat tips or tricks that can boost my CPU performance without buying a new one?

Thanks, Vince

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

Start by using Task Manager to see where you stand (Ctrl-Alt-Del).

In the Processes tab - how many processes are running? Are any of them non-essential? Then you can stop them from running - either by deleting them from your startups, or by disabling them in your services.

You can use the Performance tab to see how much of your CPU is being used, how much of your Physical Memory (RAM) is being used, and how much your pagefile is being used. This can point to some adjusted settings or adding more RAM to improve performance.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Vinni

Vinni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:54 AM

Hey usasma, I've had a go at looking in task manager and found out that-

All the processes running are essential

svchost.exe SYSTEM
zlclient.exe User [Firewall Client]
avgcc.exe User [AVG Control Center]
vsmon.exe User [Part of Firewall process]
explorer.exe User [No Idea?]
firefox.exe User [Web Browser]

Are hogging most of my RAM/CPU.

My Laptop specs are:
2.40ghz P4
700mbs RAM
32mb Gfx

Is there any more information I need to supply to try resolve the problem? My computer useage spikes to 100% quite often now.. =[

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:04 AM

Explorer.exe is good. I remember ending it one time and all my icons and start menu was gone! All I was left with was my wallpaper, so I had to turn my computer off manually and it came back.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:12 AM

Explorer.exe is good. I remember ending it one time and all my icons and start menu was gone! All I was left with was my wallpaper, so I had to turn my computer off manually and it came back.

ROFL! That happened to me yesterday at work! I had to CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up task manager and choose shut down from there (keep that in mind if it happens to you again, it's better then doing a hard shutdown!) :thumbsup:

Vinni, try these links here....some good reading and some good ideas from the wonderful folks here at BleepingComputer.com!

Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist

Windows XP Tweak Guide, Good Stuff

Of course, make sure that your computer is free of spyware and malware, as they'll slow your computer to a crawl!

For checking things in your start up menu, feel free to use BleepingComputer's STARTUP LIST where you can search for indivudal things to find info on them, including whether or not they need to be run at startup.

Hope this helps! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:34 PM

explorer.exe is the windows shell...it just shows the pretty desktop icons and stuff...

you can re-start this task by pushing ctl-alt-del then go file>new task(run)>type explorer in the box and press enter...your desktop should come back up....

as far as "increasing cpu performance" i'm not quite sure what you're asking...what makes usage 100%? is it when you open a new program? is it a short spike or a prolonged hold at 100%? are we talking about just starting up, or some time after it starts.

if you want to increase the speed which windows starts (after a re-boot or startup) then use msconfig to select the items you want to start.

use this page to search and find out if items are required...

Edited by xeddiejoex, 22 November 2006 - 03:50 PM.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:42 PM

explorer.exe is the windows shell...it just shows the pretty desktop icons and stuff...

you can re-start this task by pushing ctl-alt-del then go file>new task(run)>type explorer in the box and press enter...your desktop should come back up....

ROFL! Man, that's much easier than just calling the computer stupid and restarting it!! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#9 Vinni

Vinni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:30 AM

Hey Thanks all,

@@stevealmighty That tweak pdf looks awesome, when i havesoem free time i might read abit..

@@xeddiejoex Well sometimes when im running a few programs at the same time, my CPU useage just dramitcally jumps to 100%, then i usually have to wait until the spike lowers to normal.. which that happens freqently..

I'm actually looking to boost the performance of my cpu when I do multitasking on my laptop, because i usually can't do that.. Would there be any other solutions or programs that can help?

Thanks

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

You'll have to look at what's running under that svchost.exe to see what you can terminate. Here's a free tool for that: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

Just hover the mouse over that particular svchost.exe and it'll list the programs running under it. In the bottom window (if you scroll down) you'll be able to see what's running a lot and what's not.

explorer.exe runs your "shell" (desktop, etc) and it also runs Windows Explorer. In the event that you lose your desktop, the quickest way to get it back is to run explorer.exe from Task Manager. With the default settings you'll only have one instance of it in Task Manager - although changing settings can let other instances occur.

FYI - I've had problems in the past with Firefox eating up large amounts of memory. That was because I'd leave many, many tabs open for weeks at a time. To bring it back to manageable levels, close all your Firefox windows and then reopen them (and use the latest version (2.0)).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

@@xeddiejoex Well sometimes when im running a few programs at the same time, my CPU useage just dramitcally jumps to 100%, then i usually have to wait until the spike lowers to normal.. which that happens freqently...

when the programs start up its gonna suck a buncha cpu...and anything that runs a constant monitor will poke at it a bit here and there...that you can't help...you shouldn't have to wait long...

other than that i dont' know what to tell you...other than to make sure you don't have anything you dont' need running in the background...

#12 Vinni

Vinni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

Alright, I guess thats about all I would need to know, Thanks to all of you, this really helped me speed my comp up a tad faster!

=D

#13 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:36 AM

The small but veryimportant CPU fan can always be dusted off as anything with 2 inches of cacked on dust will not work to its best
Posted Image

#14 Vinni

Vinni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:27 AM

The small but veryimportant CPU fan can always be dusted off as anything with 2 inches of cacked on dust will not work to its best

Yes I found out the other day my mini fan behind my laptop had dust on it.. I can't find a way to get it out.. and no idea where to get "the can of compressed air" or something.. are there any alternative solutions?

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:57 PM

A huge lungful of air helps :thumbsup: (but don't spit in it!)

Compressed air can be gotten at almost any computer store or even places like WalMart and Target.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users