Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nearly Christmas And I Suspect I May Be Related To Scrooge ...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:49 PM

Suspect charities must share/sell 'client lists' because this past week our mail box has been inundated with charities asking for money.

Personally, I just chuck all this stuff into the garbage and write cheques directly to those I deeply care about - bypassing the 'middle man' entirely. (e.g. a cheque to the Children's Hospital with a note on it saying towards the new MRI, cheque to Fire Fighter's Burn Unit, etc).

Guess I must sound a lot like Scrooge to many but I gotta wonder at all these legitimate charities that plea for money while actually enclosing coloured and personalized address labels - or with offers for a monthly magazine plus tee-shirt with their logo on it - in return for a cheque.

Wouldn't the money be better spent on actually using the donor's dollars to help the people it's supposed to help?

Or maybe I'm just being cranky about how little of the money we give through 'charities' actually gets where we think it will be going?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

Hi MaraM, First I'd like to say I'm glad you at least give something. It is important to give, both to you and those that receive. It expresses love which is probably the best of humanity.

I also toss most of that mail and for most of the same reasons. I've looked at many many charities to see what goes on. Most of the charities that are Good to donate to return about 60% to the cause. Some tho are terrible with CEO's living lavishly off the income while a meager 5% may reach the needy.

I myself donate mostly thru my church. I can see where it goes and I know it goes locally. There are enough in the area that need help. There are enough that come to church that need food,clothes, school supplies or a car repair to help them continue to provide for their family. I will give to the Red Cross and Peace corps. I also believe in donating our esed clothes and furniture to the Salvation Army ( a truly above board Org).

Time is another thing. This year will be my turn to serve Thanksgiving dinner at the Goodwill mission,it costs 1.86 per meal and a great meal with dessert. They will serve thousands and the people are so kind. I take my kids a couple times a year to our hospital. We spend a day there,we read,talk,my daughter plays them a little piano or maybe wash some ones hair,with people that are alone most of the year. They feel good....we feel good ..matter of fact the hospital offers us dinner. We sit a while with the staff and all is appreciated. Not many things in life give such an opportunity, to share,give ,receive all are blessed in the name of love.
[indent=1]That is the truth of Christmas. The gift of love. The Christ child or the baby Jesus IS why it 's Christmas. The teacher of love and giving. Well I'm not a preacher but I like to give and see it. If we can all get back to the plan. It's a simple idea not this big pressure cooker.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

Yes, the 'Sally Ann' is a great organization, plus they've been around forever helping others regardless of creed, race or religion - yipee!

(I used to donate to the Red Cross as well but after that huge kafuffle following 9-11 and apparently most of the money given by Canadians never quite reaching the States, have decided they don't need my assistance anymore).

You and your family do lovely things - good for you, boopme!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:29 AM

Yes, the 'Sally Ann' is a great organization, plus they've been around forever helping others regardless of creed, race or religion - yipee!

(I used to donate to the Red Cross as well but after that huge kafuffle following 9-11 and apparently most of the money given by Canadians never quite reaching the States, have decided they don't need my assistance anymore).

You and your family do lovely things - good for you, boopme!

We have to be very careful, who we give our money to. Like they say "Charity begins at home".
I don't think I am selfish, by wanting to help the less fortunate in our own country first.
There are scam artists everywhere,so I choose very carefully who I donate to.
Here, the "Salvation Army" do a fantastic job,by provideing thousands of meals daily,
and shelter for the homeless.And many other people they help daily.
Charities now tend to give food coupons instead of money, here,because irresponsible parents
spend the money on drugs, gambling,cigarettes and alcohol,instead of food for their children.

Would be interested in your thoughts on the scam artists in the link below.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,231220,00.html

DSTM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:38 PM

Boopme wrote: "I've looked at many many charities to see what goes on. Most of the charities that are Good to donate to return about 60% to the cause. Some tho are terrible with CEO's living lavishly off the income while a meager 5% may reach the needy."

Agreed. Many so-called charity mailings and even collection boxes in stores spend very little on actual charity. I'm more stringent than Boopme as I look for charities that put at least 80% towards helping folks. I won't even donate to United Way as, from what I understand, they simply redistribute funds to other organizations. Some of that money, of course, goes to supporting United Way itself. I'd rather give directly to the organizations. I've discovered that Make-a-Wish spend only 10 cents on the children. The rest goes to administrators etc. Not a good place to put my money in my opinion. Each charity is required to file a report that documents how the money is used. You can request to see that report. And yes, many of theses so-called charities do share mailing lists. My dad calls it the sucker list.

Look into your local community to see what charities or service organizations can use time, goods, or money and make sure they use most of the money to help others. There are a plethora of organizations here.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:48 PM

Cripes! Stories like this (at the link) make me cringe for we humans, really it does!

At the very least, they could have offered the home back to the Church so it could have been given to another couple left homeless by Katrina! Grrrrrr. And it's people like this that honestly ruin things for so many others that are truly in neeed (bet that Church never helps another couple in similar circumstances due to lack of trust - and who could blame them - sad sigh).

I'll not mention a particular charity's name here but in the early 1970s we 'adopted' a foster child and were sent a picture, etc. Imagine our surprise when a few months later we were visiting friends thousands of miles away and were shown a picture of the child they 'adopted' through the same agency - same child/same picture!! Since then, we've become a lot wiser when spending our money and we too believe 'charity begins at home', DSTM.

I think of just our small area in Canada that has very average homes selling over over half a million and the average 1 bedroom apartment renting for over $800 a month - and the homeless population has literally doubled in the past 4 years, including families with small children. Yup, those in need in our own countries should come first surely - and how I wish our government saw things the same way.

But even here at home one must be careful, sadly. While not nearly on the same scale that the parishioners were 'taken' by that ungrateful couple, a few xmases ago we 'adopted' a local family through a local Church and because we wished to remain anonomous, arranged to meet the Minister in the parking lot and in turn, he would deliver everything to the family. Because we had asked prior to shopping and knew the mother and three children (whose husband had died of cancer the month before) had a freezer, we bought not just the turkey and trimmings plus gifts, but groceries, dried goods, baking supplies and fresh produce, dairy items, fresh meat, etc to last well over a month. Imagine our surprise when a friend who is a member of that Church told us the following day that someone had made this "huge donation to one family" but their Minister decided to divide everything between several families instead". We can't save the world but we wanted so much to make one families life easier for awhile, not just on Christmas Day - and while it may seem petty, I still resent the Minister's actions. Yup, guess I must be related to Scrooge after all - hoot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users