Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Email Proxy Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mdef

mdef

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:57 AM

On 10/30/06, my system was attacked by a Symantec Email Proxy virus. Small pop-up windows started replicating and covering my screen, and I couldn't access any of my programs--the system froze. Norton tech support was completely useless. After having me attempt to go into safe mode 3 times, the system would not do it and the rep said my computer was fried, useless. Then I asked him if they had a standard fix they could email me to me (a previous rep said that option was possible, that I could try the fix myself rather than asking support to take control of my system), and he promised to email it to me within the hour--he never did. He lied to me just to get me off the line. Anyhow, I continued to attempt safe mode and finally succeeded after 6 tries and disconnecting from the Internet. Once I disconnected the system went back to normal. I didn't lose any data.

I removed Norton's and ran VundoFix per another posting on this site, and then added McAfee (scan removed 4 items, two with the name of Trojan, one named Exploit-MIME.gen.c), and it seemed to work, but after a few hours, the pop-ups came back. Unlike the Symantec popups though, just one popup comes up, and if I leave it there, it doesn't keep coming up, but the annoying thing is that I keep getting the Microsoft error messages (approx. one per minute, but it varies) "Email Proxy". Plus, it is slowing done my system.

Also, the system tray shows an icon with a flashing envelope and a note listing "Total=23, Sent=12, Unsent=11". As I understand this virus (please enlighten), it is trying to use my system as a spyware terminal and trying to send out emails from it.

I have downloaded HijackThis, but I have not done anything with it yet, as I would like someone to walk me through it.

I will greatly appreciate the help.

Thank you-
Marisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

Hi Marisa,
You'll need expert help with this. Follow the instructions here Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log . Let one of the experts take you thru. Doing it improperly could have undesired results.
Post your log HERE Start a new topic and name it some thing like Exploit-MIME.gen.c.
It will take a bit for them to get to you but they will,please be patient,you will receive expert help.
Do not make any changes to your PC once you've posted in the HJT forum. It will only make your posted log invalid.

Ooops forgot... Welcome to bleepingcomputer

Edited by boopme, 20 November 2006 - 09:34 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mdef

mdef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

Hi-

Thank you so much for your reply. So sorry for my silence on this end...inundated with work here. The update is that when I upgraded my MS explorer, it cured the problem. I will never do preview panes in Outlook again.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users