Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Harddrive Write Protected?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ryanr

ryanr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

I recently started having problems with WinXP. I can't download anything. I get a message:
C:\DOCUME~1\KYLERA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sgjden5l.zip could not be saved because you cannot change the contents of that folder
Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location.

Also, I can't save files in MS Publisher or open any templetes. I get message:
The disk you are trying to write to is write protected. Make the disk read-write or use a different disk.

Lastly, all of the items in my temp folder seem to be locked. I can't delete anything and there is about 200-500 files.

All of this started after uninstalling McAfee antivirus software and trying to get rid of this stupid
#msntb_toolbar_full_name# is unable to load its config file.
If you have recently upgraded to a newer version of the #msntb_toobar_full_name#
and have not restarted your computer since the upgrade, please try restarting
your computer. If the problem persists, please reinstall the #msntb_toolbar_full_name#.

But like I said earlier, I cant go re-download the msn toolbar.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:32 AM

First thing, try this free, online scan to ensure that your system is OK: http://safety.live.com/

After that, let us know what it said - then we'll be able to give more specific suggestions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ryanr

ryanr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

I can't install the scan. I get to this troubeshooting page
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/scanner/...s%2Fdefault.htm

I'm logged in as the admin on the computer, and my C drive shows 62.2Gigs of free space.

I don't know if that link will work for you, but the page says:
Troubleshooting steps

Internet Explorer may have temporarily blocked the installation of the ActiveX control for the scanner

To fix:
Check to see if a yellow bar similar to the one below appears at the top of your Web browser window.

If so, click the yellow bar and select Install ActiveX Control...

Make sure you choose to install the ActiveX control for the scanner

To fix:
When you choose to install the scanner, a dialog box like the one below will appear and ask if you want to install this ActiveX control. Be sure to click Install. Once installation is complete, the scanner will start in a new window.

Make sure you're logged on to your PC as an Administrator

Learn how to fix

Make sure you have at least 20 MB of free space available on your hard disk

Learn how to fix

Edited by ryanr, 20 November 2006 - 02:12 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

I'd suggest that you read the instructions at the following link and post a HiJackThis log for the experts to look at: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ryanr

ryanr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

I dont know if this could be related, but the other day I pulled out a USB jump drive without using the "safely remove hardware" procedure. Could this have caused some type of error with the c: drive? I think the main problem is I can't change/create/delete temp files.

Here's something wierd...I create and can save files in Microsoft word, but not MS Publisher or Excell (the two programs I was using when I removed the Jump drive).

I've tried using safe mode to delete the temp files but it didnt work. Also tried using system restore. I restored to a few weeks ago, but that didnt solve the problem either.

In the mean time, I'll check out the hijack this...

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

Probably not related. I'd still suggest the HiJackThis log - you have signs of being infected.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:01 PM

I can't install the scan. I get to this troubeshooting page
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/scanner/...s%2Fdefault.htm

I'm logged in as the admin on the computer, and my C drive shows 62.2Gigs of free space.

I don't know if that link will work for you, but the page says:
Troubleshooting steps

Internet Explorer may have temporarily blocked the installation of the ActiveX control for the scanner

To fix:
Check to see if a yellow bar similar to the one below appears at the top of your Web browser window.

If so, click the yellow bar and select Install ActiveX Control...

Make sure you choose to install the ActiveX control for the scanner

To fix:
When you choose to install the scanner, a dialog box like the one below will appear and ask if you want to install this ActiveX control. Be sure to click Install. Once installation is complete, the scanner will start in a new window.

Make sure you're logged on to your PC as an Administrator

Learn how to fix

Make sure you have at least 20 MB of free space available on your hard disk

Learn how to fix

You are running Windows XP and have SP2 installed?

Microsoft no longer supports anything before SP2, so the WIndows Safety Scan (nor anything else from Microsoft) will work unless you have SP2.

In addition, you must use Internet Explorer for this scan to work and Active X must be enabled as follows:
Active X settings IE

In Internet Explorer click on the “tools” tab

Click on “Internet Options”

Click the “Security” tab

Click “Custom Level”

Under Active X Controls and Plugins

Download Signed Active X Controls

Choose “prompt”

Download Unsigned Active X Controls

Choose disable

Initialize and Script Active X controls not marked as safe

Disable

Run Active X controls and plugins

Enable

Script Active X Controls marked as safe

Enable

------------------------------------------

Once you click to access the scan look for the Active X notification prompt at the top of the page and allow the Active X controls to download.

What version of MS Office do you have?

Do you have a "repair" option under tools in the aps that aren't functioniong properly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users