Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Repair Disk

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tedbbald

tedbbald

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:04 AM

Hello

I hope this is a simple question. I work on a lot of friends and relatives computers and they never seem to be able to find there original disks, or only have a restore disk that wipes the computer. Ive heard that there is a XP disk that covers all versions for repairing instillations. if this is true where can i obtain one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:06 AM

Well, if all they have is Ghost images, then you can run this program:

%systemroot%/I386/winnt32

You'll need their CDkey, it's usually on the back of the tower

(to run this, go to Start > Run)

Edited by DemonSui, 20 November 2006 - 09:07 AM.

Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:46 AM

There are many versions of XP.

First, there is XP, then SP1, then SP1a, then SP2

There's Home, Media Center, Pro - and a couple of others like Tablet, Basic, Embedded, etc

Then there's the 32 and 64 bit versions.

Then there's Upgrades versus Full versus OEM

If there's an i386 directory available on the PC - use it. It contains all the essential Windows operating system files. If the PC doesn't have one, then search the restore disks for it. Often you won't be able to find it, but when you do it can be a lifesaver.

Many restore disks also have an option to do a 'non-destructive' restore - this is similar to a repair installation of XP and will fix a bunch of problems without erasing the data or programs.

But, in short, the missing restore disks/OS installation CD is an easy fix. If it's missing, you can't fix anything - so it's the user's choice to either get new disks or not have the system fixed (and FWIW - once they buy them once, they'll never forget them again!). Finally, most major computer manufacturer's will sell you Restore disks for a nominal fee (I paid about $15 from Compaq recently - shipping included).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:22 AM

Most companies (with OEM versions) only provide destructive-restore images. and that's where the I386 folder comes in handy

PSP M33 USER.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:31 AM

So far I've seen the repair capability on HP, Compaq, and Dell computers. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that Gateway's and eMachines can also do this. (I'll try and check on them tonight while at work).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

Emachines have destructive discs. I would know, I have one.

but then again mine's old.. I doubt they include them now though

Edited by DemonSui, 20 November 2006 - 11:56 AM.

PSP M33 USER.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

Thanks! We sell eMachines, but I haven't had to work on one yet. Not my favorite brand - but they do get the job done for most folks!

#8 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:22 PM

My XP was so messed up it wasn't funny.. they provide near bare-bones XP and it's annoyingly stupid. That's why you see me opting at I386 alot, it was the only non-destructive option I had.

also, that's the ONLY reason I opted at Vista. I was NOT going to go at Vista at all, but with so many problems I was like "You know what? I'll try it. It CAN'T be any WORSE!" and well, for the most part, Vista has been kind to me

Edited by DemonSui, 20 November 2006 - 12:25 PM.

PSP M33 USER.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

Yes, IMO Vista is sweet! But, it's a hardware hog, so I tweak it down and throw all the hardware that I can at it (building a new Core Duo system for it now).

#10 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:00 PM

Yes, IMO Vista is sweet! But, it's a hardware hog, so I tweak it down and throw all the hardware that I can at it (building a new Core Duo system for it now).

2.20GHz Celeron, 640MB Ram, 40GB hdd, Nvidia 5200 FX

those are my Important specs.

I have a 2.0 Vista experience (yea... right... then Xp was 0.5 or so..)

Edited by DemonSui, 20 November 2006 - 01:01 PM.

PSP M33 USER.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:05 PM

Core Duo 6600, MSI mobo w/975 chipset, 2 gB RAM, 2 - 10,000 rpm SATA drives, and a mid-range video card. Already ordered and has been shipped - it's just waiting now! :thumbsup:

I've found a number of glitches with the pre-RTM Vista builds - but they've solved most of them in the RTM (primarily with the video). It's still on track for release January 30th.

#12 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:12 PM

I hate you! lol everthing makes my PC look like a joke :thumbsup:

PSP M33 USER.

#13 tedbbald

tedbbald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

The computer I'm working on is a dell dimension 2400. Its my sister in laws. she has 2 teenagers that use it and its in scary shape right now. I was able to run spy bot and ad ware on it and they cleared out about 2000
infections, and I'm not including cookies and other stuff. now when i boot i get a blue screen of death for corrupt drivers. i cant get into safe mode, no desk top appears. I've checked all hardware and it all checks OK. if this thing has a i386 folder on it how can i access it and run the repair?

#14 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

well you have to know the I386 directorty first. then it's <area>\I386\winnt32

Ex: C:\Windows\I386\winnt32

(if it's 64bit, replace 32 with 64, I think.. might be blank too. (winnt) )

You must have the CDkey for that computer, usually located on the back of the tower, in order to run this utility.

PSP M33 USER.

#15 tedbbald

tedbbald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:04 AM

I have the key, its on the case.

The computer I'm on right now has a i386 folder right on the c drive. if you could give me an example if how i would run a repair on this one it would help me to understand.
In you original post you said to run%systemroot%/I386/winnt32 this would only work of the i386 folder was in the root directory right?

also can it be run from a command prompt?

sorry i'm not an idiot just haven't done this before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users