Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hardcore_prawn

Hardcore_prawn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:46 AM

Alrighty. I have decided to admit defeat, and reinstall windows. I have a few reservations.

1) In my stupidity, I bought a computer from Time in 2003. It was late to arrive, was missing documentation, and a week into having it teh boot sector on the hard drive failed. I sent everything I had back, and within 3 or so weeks, it arrived fresh, without my windows CD that it originally came with, and wthout my Key.

I have since used teh automatic registration feature to register my computer with microsoft, but I'm worried that when I come to install windows again, I won't have teh right key.

The one I currently have I found on my system information tab.

It's format

XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

I'm not sure if this is correct. - I'm running Windows XP professional, and need instructions first on how to remove windows from my computer, and then how to reinstall it. The last time I formatted a computer was way back when, in the age of 3.1 :S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:02 AM

The key that you need for XP is the 25 digit key that's most likely on a sticker affixed to the case. Without the key, uninstalling Windows XP will leave you with a system that'll be severely limited after the initial 30 day test period.

Download and run this free utility to find your XP key: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Without a Windows installation CD (or an i386 directory on your system) you may not be able to reinstall WindowsXP without purchasing another copy of the installation media. Could you give us some information on the system (make and model) so we can look it up and see what we can find?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users