Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peerguardian Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Juggler

Juggler

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:43 AM

I took the advice of several buddies (on and offline), specially my dude Walkman and installed PG. At first, it wouldn't allow me to access ANY sites, and I used it only as an active spyware blocker when i wasn't on the internet. But as I continued to use it, it seemed to "hone" itself to my system and now I can enable all the anti-spy and malware options while I'm on and rarely run into any unnecessary site blockages. Is that the way it's supposed to work? If so,,,, that's one dam smart program and I'm glad I installed it!!! Thx to my man Walkman for the recommendation....
Couple questions....

- I have Nortons because of it's thorough full-system scan and McAfee for it's excellent active scanning mode. However, the list manager in PG shows a lot blocking of transmissions from McAfee. I right-clicked and selected "permananently allow", but it continues to show blocked transmissions from McAfee. Is that a problem?

- Should I keep my log, the same way I'd keep quarantined objects with Ad-Aware, to prevent further incursions?

- What is an IGMP protocol....I've researched the others, but haven't seen anything on that.

thx...

PS to Walkman...
Do u play any online games? if so, what...be cool to play a game sometime....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:12 PM

I have Nortons because of it's thorough full-system scan and McAfee for it's excellent active scanning mode

It appears you are running 2 Antivirus programs. You should run only one,this is not good and they are conflicting.

What is an IGMP

Internet Group Management Protocol = IGMP
A communications protocol IP's use for online video and gaming.

There's a security bulletin related to that http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS06-007.mspx
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

I have Nortons because of it's thorough full-system scan and McAfee for it's excellent active scanning mode

It appears you are running 2 Antivirus programs. You should run only one,this is not good and they are conflicting.

What is an IGMP

Internet Group Management Protocol = IGMP
A communications protocol IP's use for online video and gaming.

There's a security bulletin related to that http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS06-007.mspx
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Juggler

Juggler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:08 AM

No my anti-virus programs don't conflict because I set Nortons to an inactive status so they don't run at the same time. I only use it to run scans, not to monitor viral activity in real time...I use McAfee for that. My question has more to do with the PeerGuardian program itself and it blocking transmissions from my anti-virus software. I need to know if #1. it's a problem, #2. What to do about it. Thx for the input though, any more would be appreciated.

#5 Juggler

Juggler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:10 AM

And thx boopme, for the info... the IGMP hits were probably from playing Empire Earth online, so now I don't have to worry about them.

Edited by Juggler, 21 November 2006 - 05:13 AM.

#6 Juggler

Juggler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:01 PM

Still awaiting a reply, appreciate any input

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:28 PM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL!!

Juggler, you're cool with me. I'm here to help as much as I can. I've been on a mission during this last week, and I've been confronted with the fact that rootkits have been used on cd's since 1995. I'll discuss that in another forum. Then again, during this week, I'vee bought a Dell (used) computer, and I'm just testing out things,,, and I've have a few new clients that have bought their computers by to get serviced.... and right now, I'm done cooking the Turkey... :thumbsup:

As far as the PeerGuardian blocking Norton or McAfee.. the best thing to do is whenever you want to update any of those programs, just click on the button on the PeerGuardian that says "Allow HTTP/Block HTTP"..... and make sure it says Allow HTTP... and when you're finished updating, simply click the button again to say HTTP is Blocked.

Although those programs are on their blocked list, it doesn't mean that they're bad.... but.... they got put on there for one reason or another. That's why I always leave mine on Block HTTP, and if it blocks a particular web site I want/need to be on... I just unblock it for just the time I need, then I just block it again.

Also, as advised here and elsewhere, ..... don't run 2 firewalls or virus scans at the same time. They can cause problems.

As far as games are concerned.... I like plenty of games... but I would have to investigate more on online gaming because when I did do it last year, playing Delta Force 2.... they cheated.. and I just gave up on online gaming. If you know of any honest places to play games, I wouldn't mind lending a hand in the gameplay... But, I'll say it again,,, I know how to test if cheating is going on, and if I find that it is.... I'm Outta there.

#8 Juggler

Juggler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

Thx man problem solved!!
If you like RTS games, Empire Earth 2 online is fun and the only cheating I've seen are obvious, like game setups, but not system exploits. you just don't join games that are setup unfairly. I used to play battlefield 2 for the ps2 religiously until server crashing became a popular sport, now you can't even get in a game. i just got a 360 though and i really like it even though i hated the first xbox. I'll definitely be playing COD2, GWAR, and rainbow 6 online as soon as i get xbox live (need to get an HD for my 360). As far PC, pretty much just EE2. My puter's a laptop so I have to limit the number of games I have loaded, i've only got 120 gigs, not like some of those desktops with ridiculous space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users