Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Is System Restore?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ministe2003

ministe2003

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:49 AM

My pc is, at the moment, completely clean from spyware and viruses and I want to stay that way.
here's my idea:

I want to turn on system restore and make a restore point called 'Clean'. I then want to go to the location where this restore point is stored and copy the folder to another location, and then turn system restore off.

why? i dont want system restore on because of the flaws it has (copying the bugs, not letting it be virus scanned etc) so my plan is if i ever need to revert to this clean state again, i'd turn system restore on, move the folder i copied that contains the point 'Clean' back to the directory i got it from and then restore back to that point.

2 questions:
1) do you have a clue what i'm talking about?!
2) if this possible and if so, how?

many thanks

Steven

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:31 AM

I understand what you want to do, and at first glance it makes sense. But the problem with this procedure is that it would not take into consideration any changes to the registry that might be made by updates, new application installations, application deletions, etc.
Secondly, I am not sure that if you turn off system restore, then turn it back on and load in a restore point, whether the programme will even recognise the loaded restore point. At the very least, you would have to load the restore point in the appropriate folder/path before you turned on system restore, and that would mean that the folder/path would have to be available in the first place.
If it were me, I would certainly created a named restore point, but would then keep restore running, so any registry changes could be reflected in subsequent new points.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

Yes, you can do this. Will it work - I dunno, but expect that it won't (because of the bugs that you're concerned about in System Restore). Besides, System Restore doesn't save everything on your system - there's an .xml file in the System Restore directory that specifies what it will save. Here's an excellent link on System Restore: http://bertk.mvps.org/

I'd suggest that a more reasonable way to do this would be to make a "clone" or "image" of your hard drive and store it. To do this, your hard drive manufacturer will usually have free tools for this purpose.

I prefer Acronis True Image for this task (about $50 US) - it will make an image of your hard drive exactly as it sits - and you can restore it in less than 20 minutes. Some drawbacks are the size of the image (it's huge), and that it will bring you back to the day that you made the image (so all your data done in the meantime will be gone).

You can overcome the first drawback with a pile of DVD's or an external drive. You can overcome the second drawback by using good backup software to save your data - or you can point all of your data storage to another drive (that way when you restore, it'll restore the pointers to the other drive which has the current data).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ministe2003

ministe2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:41 PM

cheers for the replies guys.

I'll just leave it as it is then, seems there's more to it than i imagined.

thanks again

Steven

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

Hi Steven.

Another point is that when you are happy with the way your machine is running and have made a new restore point, you can go to start>allprograms>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup. Click OK for your hard drive and wait, then go to >more options and at the bottom of that page you will see the ability to delete all except your last restore point.

Restore points are usually made automatically, as I guess you know, but if you have had problems then some of the restore points may be infected. This is what your antivirus is telling you as these files can not be touched. It is quite a good idea to clean them out occasionally. For all their faults, they are good for your peace of mind.

Good luck.
Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:32 PM

That was interesting reading and very helpful for me too.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users