Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Running Slow

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:35 AM

I have a laptop that seems slow to open programmes, shutting down, starting up etc

It was ok until I had a bug and had to format completely. Ever since then it has been slower and sluggish.

I defrag regularly, I maintain msconfig so that nothing untoward is starting up. I scan the system once a week with Ad Aware, Spybot, Windows Defender scans daily. It has Spywareblaster and SpywareGuard installed and updated regularly.
I have Avast (scans once a week) and Zone Alarm free installed.
After running HJT, there doesnt seem anything amiss, and my scans show nothing.

Is there anything else I can do to liven it up a bit?

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:25 AM

Did you install the drivers when you reinstalled XP? You can check by going into Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any red x's or yellow !'s - those are indicators that the drivers may not be installed or working correctly.

After that, run this free System Information utility (doesn't require installation) and post the results here for us to have a look at: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html I'm sure we'll have plenty of recommendations after that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:38 AM

I am at work at present, but will have a look at devise manager when i get back in tonight

what section of gtopala do I use? There seems to be a lot of categories.

Paul

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:55 AM

Click on the Download button at the upper right side of the page - then select the version and it'll download. Then follow the directions to generate a report that you can copy/paste here.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

Ive tried this programme at work so that it is familiar when i get home.

I clicked on download and selected the first English version.

I then went on File and create log file, but it covers absolutely everything. Is there anything in particular that you want or is it the single log file that you want me to paste? If it is, will all the info fit on this page?

Sorry for all the questions

Paul

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:07 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood. What we'll need is your basic hardware specifications (just as your hard drive, video card, RAM, processor, motherboard, etc). RAM is actually the most useful figure here - as it'll tell us if you're being limited by too little RAM.

Then, there are different ways to address the problem (presuming that there's nothing malicious causing this).

First is to try this free, online scan - to make sure your system is clean and up to snuff: http://safety.live.com/ It'll scan for malware, clean your registry, dump your Temp files, and defrag your hard drive.

Then, we'll have to discuss the tradeoffs that you'll have to make (more RAM will usually help a lot - but it costs money - whereas you can trim stuff down to get it running peppy again, but then you'll have to be constantly vigilant as to what's on your system.

First we'll start by looking at your startups and system services. You can view the startups by using msconfig.exe in the Run dialog - and the services by using services.msc in the Run dialog.

PS - it's been a while since I last viewed one of their logs - and it was a lot shorter back then! Thanks for calling my attention to it! Just save the log for future reference - then you'll be able to answer questions from it as they come up.

Edited by usasma, 20 November 2006 - 12:08 PM.

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:38 AM

Sorry about this ... the phone line went down last night so I couldnt download that link you gave me. It should be up and working tonight.

I did look at the devise manager. There were 2 yellow question marks situated underneath Network adapters. One was titled 'other devises' and the other which linked to it, had an exclamation mark inside the question mark, and it was titled 'pci modem'

I also found some details of the laptop if thats any good.
it has intel pentium 4 cpu 2.40~Ghz 2.39Ghz 256 of Ram

doesnt mean a thing to me

regards
Paul

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

It means that the processor should be sufficient but the ram is barely, barely enough - especially if you are using a video card with shared ram, which is probable.
512mb is really considered minimum for proper operating of XP nowadays.

We need to determine what the "Other Devices" are, and the PCI Modem may be causing very slow browsing or other connectivity issues.
(I am assuming you are on dialup and using it from your comment about the phone line being down)
Try updating the modem driver of if that isn't possible, using the ap usasma suggested, get all the info on the modem so you can download an updated driver for it from support at the modem/pci card manufacturer (and store it where you can find it or burn it to a disk), delete the device in the Device Manager, reboot, and let Windows find it and then reinstall it.

#9 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

Im not on dial up, Im running a pc card - the main pc is on wireless broadband.

Can extra Ram be added to make it faster?

I intend to go through Ad/Remove and look at what can be deleted.

Paul

#10 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:05 PM

Can extra Ram be added to make it faster?

the answer: always, if your laptop can support adding more in. My pc's max is 2GB, while there are 2GB cards out, I cannot use them
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

Are you on dialup, DSL, Cable, or Satellite internet (or another?)?

If on dialup, then the network adaptors shouldn't matter. You can disable them to save resources. Don't forget to make sure that (if you're on dialup) that your modem is showing as OK in Device Manager.

Oh, and if you're on dialup, then save the link for a time when you've got a lot of time. The scan takes a couple of hours to complete - and I don't know how if it'll take a lot longer because of your connection (I suspect that it won't take a lot longer - but that's still several hours of connection time).

#12 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:00 AM

I am on ADSL broadband using a wireless router. The laptop has a pc card which runs off the main pc which is the hub. (I almost sound as if I know what Im talking about).

I will run that scan tonight - I did another defrag yesterday and noticed in the top right hand corner 46% - is that what is left on the hard drive?

Is it easy to install extra Ram to a laptop should I need it? I will look at Ad/Remove and see if there is anything that can be done away with.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

Yep, you do sound like you know what you're talking about - so fix your own darned problem! :thumbsup: (just kidding!) :flowers:

Without running defrag on my system, I presume that is what the 46% means.

RAM is easy to install. I recommend this site to get RAM from: http://www.crucial.com/

Use their memory configurator - they guarantee it.

Also, they guarantee their memory for a lifetime, they have reasonable prices, the RAM comes with well written instructions (I used it for my very first RAM upgrade on a laptop), and their service is the best.

#14 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:10 AM

Thanks very much for your recommendation, your time, and your trouble

kind regards
Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic