Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is The Draft Coming Back?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:48 PM

I saw a clip or preview of the news tonight about the draft maybe coming back online. Is it?
I dont want to go to war myself and I would not like it if I turned 18 in 7 months and had to go to iraq.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:52 AM

I haven't heard anything about it. I hope they don't bring it back, I missed it by about 3 months myself and don't want anybody going in against their will. Let us know if you hear more. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:24 AM

I haven't heard anything about it. I hope they don't bring it back, I missed it by about 3 months myself and don't want anybody going in against their will. Let us know if you hear more. :thumbsup:

Read this on another forum today.

Rangel Says He Will Revive Legislation to Impose Military Draft

Nov. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Democratic Representative Charles Rangel said he will again introduce legislation to revive a U.S. military draft when his party takes control of Congress in January.

Broad-based conscription for the military or public service would make U.S. leaders more cautious about going to war, Rangel, of New York, said on CBS's "Face the Nation."....

Rangel said the draft would require ``a couple of years'' of service in the military or in other public agencies.

Edited by DSTM, 20 November 2006 - 10:27 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:12 AM

See the article:

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?s...8&aid=64461

"Rangel has unsuccessfully sponsored draft legislation in the past. Polls have shown about seven in ten Americans oppose another draft. "

I think you can rest a little easier, GCM.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

I'm one of those in the minority on this issue and support the draft 100%.
Military service teaches you discipline, respect, courtesy and a sense of pride.
Just because you're in the military doesn't condemn you to death. In fact, it opens many doors that would have been closed otherwise. We americans have gotten soft and lost our backbone for fighting. The whole world knows it and no longer fears us. If we had a mandatory draft we would be millions strong and receive the respect we deserve. It's disheartening to see todays youth willing to live in and reap the benefits of this country but unwilling to fight for it. This all volunteer force is fine in peacetime but if we had to go toe-to-toe with a few "real countries", we'd be in big trouble and forced to use nukes. I served in Vietnam in 65 and 66. Some of my buddies died right next to me. The same will happen with Iraq. It makes me so damn mad that we started another one we won't finish my head steams. 500,000 american boots on the ground with all this hi-tech weaponry and this war would have been over. I say "bring it back baby". We need it wether we want it or not. Off pedestal now. :thumbsup:

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:49 PM

Well that makes me feel better.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:15 PM

I could add a few thoughts.

First, a disclaimer: I'm not American so it would not directly affect me, but we do have mandatory military service, which I have been through.

I wouldn't say my military service taught me much in the way of discipline, respect, courtesy or a sense of pride. Rather I lost the little faith I had in our military. But our mlilitary isn't your military, so I probably shouldn't draw too many hasty conclusions.

As for making the world respect you, I don't think a draft will help there. I've been keeping a vague eye on thoughts on the so-called 4th generation warfare that has been coming out of think-tanks on both sides of the Atlantic, and I doubt manpower will be the deciding factor. Besides in occupations, that is. Occupations is almost exclusively a question of man-power, which the Iraq war should have taught us (again!). It is sad to see that the lessons of the Vietnam war seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Interesting question: Can a military suffer from emotional trauma and repress things?

Back to the 4GWF; Some have expressed thoughts that your military isn't up to dealing with the new forms of warfare and that other civilian and intelligence agencies might be better equipped to handle it. There is even the whole cyber-warfare side to it. I'm not saying that classical physical violence will go away, only that it will become a smaller component. At least you are starting to take note of other modern thinkers in an effort to update your strategic thinking.

A couple of perceptive thinkers:

We are approaching a stage of development when no one is a solider anymore but everyone is a participant in combat action. The task now is not to inflict losses in men and material but to thwart an enemy's plans, demoralize it, undermine its worldview, and destroy its intrinsic values.

-Maj. Gen. G.A. Berezkin

The new principals of war are no longer "using armed forces to compel the enemy to submit to one's will", but rather are "using all means, including armed force or non-armed force, military and non-military, and lethal and non-lethal means to compel ones enemy to accept one's interests"

-Col. Qiao Liang and Wang Xiangsui

Tactical: "All we have to do is to send two Mujahedin to the Farthest point East to raise a piece of cloth on which is written al-Qa'ida in order to make generals race there causing America to suffer human, economic and political losses without thier achiving anything of note..."

-Osama bin Laden
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:09 AM

Is it just me or did this thread just do a: "Now you see me, now you don't"?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:53 AM

Military service teaches you discipline, respect, courtesy and a sense of pride.

If you make it back alive. You can learn that stuff at other places anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users