Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Searchbar?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dosematic

dosematic

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:32 PM

while running firefox, when i'm searching, or doing any kind of typing, really, this annoying little bar pops up down at the bottom of me screen. it's some kind of search tool or something. i dunno, i'm not sure exactly what it is, really. anyway, what's the name of the process, and can i terminate it?
thanks,
r2 detard

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 20 November 2006 - 09:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

It thinks you're searching for things. and it can be easily closed bt the little X on the left side
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:43 PM

It opens when you tell Firefox to "Find" something on a web page.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

Typing outside a textbox will do this as well

PSP M33 USER.

#5 dosematic

dosematic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

okay, these are things that are obviously true, but they don't help me.

clicking the little red x does nothing to prevent the bar from returning on the very next keystroke.

typing anywhere brings up this bar, be it in a text box or not.

the bar seems to have no preference as to whether i'm searching or not. it plagues me on spades table chat just as much as it does using a search engine or anything else.

this is recent. firefox has always treated me well enough until this issue became an issue. i wonder if a good deed might bail me out, or if it's ex-girlfriend sabotage or maybe a change in me diet might hit the spot. i should stop eating kittens anyway.

so, i'm gonna learn all i can about firefox here in the next few minutes. some help would be awesome, if anyone can gimme a little. anyone who helps me out with useful information gets at least two good jokes. okay, two jokes. they may be horrible.

gracias,
r2 detard

#6 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:48 PM

Well, i don't know about that, because it never did this to me. best to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it I think

PSP M33 USER.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:03 PM

go to the "advanced tab" in options. there are two selections that might relate to your problem. One is begin finding when typing. Is it unchecked?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:15 PM

If the function buddy215 mentioned, is unchecked, could you provide a Screenshot of the problem?
How to take and share a screen shot in Windows
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 dosematic

dosematic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

find was the word. i looked right at that thing twice and missed it. in my defense, i have a horrible cold and played a show this weekend.

aight, jokes....
how do you turn a duck into a soul singer? put him in the oven til his Bill Whithers

what do you call an epileptic cow? beef jerky

what do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic? someone who stays awake nights wondering if there's a dog

thanks to buddy for helping me across the street

peace
the cervix technician

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:30 PM

OK, I will admit it. I had to read that last joke more than once. I am still laughing. Glad your problem is solved.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:31 PM

sdit: nvm, I thought he was still asking for it

Edited by DemonSui, 20 November 2006 - 04:32 PM.

PSP M33 USER.

#12 dosematic

dosematic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:43 AM

murderation!!!

after a couple of nice, friendly days, the firefox find bar is back.

the find when typing option is disabled in firefox.

i will provide a screenshot at the next availability.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:03 AM

OK, there was another option next to the one you unchecked--"allow text to be selected with keyboard". uncheck that one.
If that don't fix it I would reinstall Firefox.
I would first try reinstalling without deleting your profile. Just use the Add/Remove program.
I would like to know if you were using Firefox 2.0.

#14 dosematic

dosematic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:21 AM

hey buddy,
i was using v 1.5.8
i updated and made sure both the options you recommended go unhecked are unchecked, and now i guess time will tell.
thanks for the advice.

happy thanksgiving,
funky fingers

#15 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:04 AM

Did you update to 2.0?