Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 monkeyshinz

monkeyshinz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

since installing IE7 my archived MHTML files will no longer show the images when loaded into IE... just the picture holders with the little red x in the corner. I know the images are still there, because they are visible when i load the same file into publisher. How do i get the images back into view in IE 7? There was no problem viewing them in IE 6.... before the update. grrrrrrrrrrrr! The file size of the MHTML also are indicative of images being present.. however... i can't view them with the new IE browser :thumbsup:

on the same sort of wave length - if i do uninstall IE 7 - can i just go ahead despite the warning of files / updates that may no longer work? or, will i be turning a bad situation into something worse?

thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:02 PM

Can't help with the 'no images showing' problem, but I can tell you that the warning you get just prior to uninstalling IE7 can be ignored safely. It's only of relevance if any of the listed applications depend on IE7 to function properly (very rare) - I've uninstalled it 3 times whilst it was in beta, none of the applications in the warning list were specifically relevant to IE7 and none of them were 'broken' afterwards.

If you were removing IE totally from your system (if it were possible) instead of just reverting to the previous version, then that could well 'break' a few programs including Windows itself. But that does not apply here.

Just had a thought concerning your images problem. As it's an archive file (one file with no supporting files), the image elements may be held in the browser cache or temp internet files. These elements are deleted when/if you clear the 'temporary internet files' folder. I've had that happen to me. If you want to preserve ALL the elements of a web-page I believe you have to save it in standard HTML format, which saves all the various graphic elements in a 'sidecar' folder along with the page itself. Not as tidy as a single archive file but the only way I know to preserve the true page.

Edited by pip22, 28 November 2006 - 04:20 PM.

#3 monkeyshinz

monkeyshinz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for your reply pip22:

i think i've found a way around the problem.... many of the mhtml files that would not show images in IE were able to be opened up in MS Word or Publisher... the file size indicated that there WERE images or something there.

i could then "view in browser" and all was ok. I found that i was able to save them from Word with the mhtml extension and i was back in business. To be on the safe side though, i tried renaming the file with a 2 or something.

For that matter, i was even able to attach the original mhtml file to an email - mail it to myself and save that file as a Word archived file.

As for the mhtml files that related to websites... some of them eventually worked, while others didn't either because the websites had been changed, or as you mentioned... my cache had been cleared. (Some of these web mhtml's were fairly old) but i thought that that was the reason to save as an "archive".

I've been able to revisit some of the sites and save them again as mhtml's ... it will be a long tedious process to do them all, but i guess as the need arises... it will get sorted out. :thumbsup:

Thanks for responding. :flowers:

#4 Sweet24-7

Sweet24-7

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to post this...but every since I upgraded to IE7, My computer won't boot on it's own it just keeps going the black downloading page over and over until I click F8. What can I do to stop this it is driving me mad :thumbsup: Any help would be appreciated. Also if it has no work around can someone give me instructions how how to get back to IE6. In fact maybe give me them too, in case I run into more problems along the way. Thank you very very much fo any help.
Sweet24-7

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:38 AM

BTW,It's easy to uninstall IE7.
Go to your control panel/add and remove programs/scroll down to Windows Internet Explorer 7/click delete.
IE reverts back to version 6.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Sweet24-7

Sweet24-7

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:59 AM

I tried that, it isn't showing up on there????

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:39 AM

According to the M$ News Groups,try this Sweet24-7.
In add/remove programs just click on Add/Remove windows component uncheck Internet Explorer and click next.
IE would be rolled back to IE 6.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users