Thanks for your reply pip22:
i think i've found a way around the problem.... many of the mhtml files that would not show images in IE were able to be opened up in MS Word or Publisher... the file size indicated that there WERE images or something there.
i could then "view in browser" and all was ok. I found that i was able to save them from Word with the mhtml extension and i was back in business. To be on the safe side though, i tried renaming the file with a 2 or something.
For that matter, i was even able to attach the original mhtml file to an email - mail it to myself and save that file as a Word archived file.
As for the mhtml files that related to websites... some of them eventually worked, while others didn't either because the websites had been changed, or as you mentioned... my cache had been cleared. (Some of these web mhtml's were fairly old) but i thought that that was the reason to save as an "archive".
I've been able to revisit some of the sites and save them again as mhtml's ... it will be a long tedious process to do them all, but i guess as the need arises... it will get sorted out.
Thanks for responding.