Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need New Computer Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jgreg32

jgreg32

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

I think the time has finally come to upgrade my 1.1ghz amd athlon setup. Its running xp home edition with 256 sd ram. Its recently become super slow and browsing two internet windows at once can be quiet a challange. My options are to upgrade the board, chip set, and ram, or getting a new computer. Doing some quick research, upgrading may not be as cost effective as I once thought, and recently the idea of a laptop has crossed my mind. Therefore, I'm looking up to you guys for some suggestions as the navigation of laptops can be endless btw the chip sets and which are better and such. The comp is going to be used for home use, I'm not a gamer at all (haven't played a pc game in 5 years!) so I won't need a huge graphic capabilities. What i do need is very good multitasking for things such as ie, word, excel, and powerpoint, and quick start up. Any recommendations for specifications, brands and models are highly welcome. Did I mention I'm on a college student budget? The lower the better withouth getting total crap, was looking at something in the range of $500-650. Thanks guys

Edited by jgreg32, 19 November 2006 - 07:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

Take a look at this link: http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system...de-200608.ars/2

It was about $800 in August so it should be a bit cheaper now (and it should be able to handle Vista should you choose to upgrade).

Edited by usasma, 19 November 2006 - 08:24 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

Perhaps something with just a basic processor maybe around 1.6-1.7GHz and like 512mbs of ram running windows xp would probably be enough. Also integrated graphics should be fine if your not playing any games or doing lots of video editing. If you do plan on upgrading to windows vista then, from what I've heard, you should probably get 1 gig of ram.I suggest you look around on newegg.com they usually have good prices and a large selection.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:45 AM

My dad bought a HP last year from Compusa, he's been pretty happy with it. Has 1gig ram, 200gig HD. He paid about $600 for it.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

Compaq's never faield me. My ancient Pentium 2 (300Mhz) Compaq Deskpro is actually still working great. and I've bought a Presario for about 800$ CDN ( and now it's around 600-700$ at bestbuy ) and it works great, and surprisingly didn't have to many cheap parts, Motherboard was fairly standerd PCI-e board, good DVD drive, decent Seagate drive but a cheap power supply.

If you're a colledge student, perhaps a labtop would be more suitible. Their more convient and are more then capable then handling your needs.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

Can't beat some of the deals that I've found at CompUSA (even though it's a hour drive for me!). Found a nice system there about 2 months ago for $179 after all the rebates.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users