Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laser Mouse Vs Optical

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

I was wondering what makes the new laser mice better than the optical? I read something about better resolution on the lasers or something. I thought opticals ones were laser to but now there are optical and laser. What would be the benefits of upgrading to laser from optical?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:56 PM

Laser's are more accurate. This will be very useful for anyone who does precise work, such as with art or photographs, etc. It is easier to move your mouse to the exact pixel with a laser vs an optical mouse. The average home user may not notice or need the difference.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:21 PM

Idk, i have a microsoft wireless laser mouse 6000 and it's not that precise. There are a lot of times i'm trying to edit a picture, changing the colors pixel by pixel, and it'll be jumpy or majorly delayed. Sometimes it'll throw my pointer off by as much as 2/3 pixels of where i want it to go.

However, it is still better than any optical mice i've tried :thumbsup:

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:22 AM

I don't know if this is the issue in your case, Hereitic Monkey, but you must use the mouse on a non reflective surface. A shiney table top, or even some mouse pads are too shiney. A good test is to simply remove the mouse from the surface it is on and put it on your pant leg and see if performance improves. If it does, then your desk surface is too shiney. (Usually clothing is non reflective)

Also in the case of wireless, you must keep a stock of fresh batteries.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:50 PM

"Also in the case of wireless, you must keep a stock of fresh batteries."

I had a wireless optical mouse once. The batteries died way to often and I threw it away. I got it free anyways so.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:54 PM

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...,CONTENTID=9043

Actually I have a wireless Logitech mouse that uses an internal battery with a docking station.

It works great. It works on almost any surface. I've used on my white table (which optical doesn't work on; so I don't need a mousepad anymore), works on head, works on my wood wall, the top side of a CD, clothes, my arm... pretty much any surface except for glass. (reflective surfaces like glass, or a tv, window etc..)

I've had my mouse since June of 05 and has been working flawlessly ever since.

The wireless ability works great for when I stream DVDs from my computer to the TV in the living room. The distance is about 15 feet through my wall. Lags slightly if I don't use the mouse at about the same elevation of the docking station.

I bought the MX3100 desktop suite online. At the time I paid $125 for it. But I am glad I did though! It was well worth the money.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Logitech_Cordless_...7-31287803.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users